liver function tests

lynmary
lynmary Member Posts: 17
edited 13. Feb 2016, 09:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,
I have asked this question before but unable to keep up to date with answers, so please does anyone know what affects my liver function tests besides methotrexate or alcohol. My LFT's results are extremely variable but I don't know why. Any foods affect them, exercise, anything?

Please help because I'm being threatened with being taken off methotrexate and not sure I could manage.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think if you don't drink alcohol then methotrexate itself is the most likely culprit. I've read - but not on a particularly reliable site - that lots of fast food can alter the ALT levels.

Don't worry. If you're taken off meth you'll be given something else.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Meth may well be the likely culprit, some people can 'cope' with it better than others. Are you taking any other meds in addition to the meth? I have injected meth plus injected humira and sulph tablets: they all affect the liver but mine appears to be pretty resilient. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynmary
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Meth may well be the likely culprit, some people can 'cope' with it better than others. Are you taking any other meds in addition to the meth? I have injected meth plus injected humira and sulph tablets: they all affect the liver but mine appears to be pretty resilient. DD

In fairness I have been on Meth for 20 years plus so been resilient for a good time. I inject too plus Cymzia injection. Been on various things over the years. Have tried other drugs but up until now Meth has been the best but it may be time for a change
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I cant offer any help, but I do wish you well , and like SW says you will be offered something else..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Melanie17
    Melanie17 Member Posts: 67
    Hi there,
    I have looked into the LFT in reasonable depth as I too am on Methotrexate although fairly recently prescribed.Please try not to worry too much.It seems some people can take this drug for very long periods and their livers are not affected,whereas others show changes.This is why we must have these fortnightly checks-so that no damage is sustained.This is why the blood tests are crucial.
  • Melanie17
    Melanie17 Member Posts: 67
    Hi,
    Just an afterthought and it's only an idea.Have you looked at when you have your blood taken in relation to taking your Methotrexate?I expect that you are taking Meth once weekly,as I am.My suggestion is that,if we have blood tests the day after we take our Meth,our livers will be having to filter it and the effect on the liver may be greater.If we have our bloods taken just before we take our Meth,the concentrate in the liver must be a lot weaker.Could anyone agree,maybe?This MAY account for variables but this is only an idea.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think that with any of these meds our bodies may well cope with them very well but over a period of time their effectiveness begins to fade or we become intolerant to them. Do you take folic acid? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    That's an interesting, and plausible, point that Melanie makes but I would imagine that our livers need to be within the given parameters ALL the time. My readings never vary by much whenever I have my bloods done.

Are they assuming that meth is the culprit rather than the cimzia?

These meds are great when all is working well but when there's a blip.....it's a minefield.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi lynmary , I been on Methotrexate for almost 20 years , had problems before with raised ALT & they stopped MTX for some time but was allowed to go back on it but with 5mg folic acid six days a week & my bloods have been fine since , my ALT was 170 at one point but now within normal range but talk to your rheumy nurse

one other thing is that they are doing test on people than have taken MTX for a long period of time & testing for liver damage , I had the done through my local Rheumatology Department , involves scan on liver & blood test
  • lynmary
    Thx everyone for your messages and advice. Still on the problem ranges but improving a little. I have now been told that as I take Gabapentin 300 TDS , that may be having an effect too. All these meds are processed in the liver so guess its a cumulative effect.

Take care everyone, fight on
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi lynmary;

I haven't read all the posts here but in my case I had fluctuating liver and other values in my bloodwork for quite awhile. I take MTX (2 or3 yrs) for psa and I'm on quite a few other drugs as well. In my case, it seems that my inflammatory condition was causing some of the problem. Now that the illness is a little better controlled, my blood values have stopped fluctuating and are all in normal range. I was almost taken off MTX at one point but rheum decided to wait a bit.
  • stickywicket
    lynmary wrote:
    I have now been told that as I take Gabapentin 300 TDS , that may be having an effect too. All these meds are processed in the liver so guess its a cumulative effect.

So true. The liver is our big 'food' processor / detoxer / washing machine / storage cupboard so the more we give it to do the harder it has to work. At least it sounds as if you're heading in the right direction. I hope that continues. Thanks for the update.
    Steven Wright