Issues at work

amie08
amie08 Member Posts: 14
edited 30. Jan 2016, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I suffer from JIA and Fibromyalgia. JIA has been in remission for last few years but flared up in November which has resulted in my knee being drained twice since then and still flared up at the moment.

Since my flare up, my work don't seem to understand what I'm going through. I have been working there for just under a year and a half, they took me on knowing my medical conditions. But i was taken into the office last week and told my absence was too high. Yesterday I received a letter saying I'm being monitored and if it keeps happening then I may be dismissed from the company. Only 3 or 4 of my absences have been for bugs or infections and the rest were hospital/doctors appointments and even a laparoscopy operation which have all been held against me!

I just wondered if anyone else had trouble at work with things like this?

Thank you

Amie x

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If you look at the Benefits and Working Matters forum you will find many posts with similar themes and replies from others. I was fortunate in that I was self-employed so could tailor things to suit me.

I believe I am right in saying that your employer has a responsibility towards you to meet your physical needs under an act whose name I cannot remember. It is in your favour that you have not hidden your condition from them and maybe it's time (if you haven't already) for you to present them with as much information as you can about the nature of your health issues so they have a better picture of how you can be affected. Employers require reliable employees and, sad to say, we are not that; that shouldn't mean we cannot work when we are able. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having extra stress because of this issue with work.

I have JIA and fibromyalgia myself, so far I've not had those kind of issues at work but I only work part time.

I think the legislation that might help you to look at is the equality act, 2010, as I'm sure it covers disability, discrimination, and long term health conditions in relation to rights at work. A local citizens advice service or similar may be able to advise you?
    I know when I worked in retail briefly years ago, I made sure my employers made the 'reasonable adjustments' to my employment conditions such as shift length etc and also consideration of when I had time off for appointments and surgery etc related to my condition.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I hope you can find some more info and support x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    If you haven't already done so join a union as they can give you support and advice. Do you have access to an Occupational health service? They can give good advice, and it maybe worth you contacting job centre plus to ask about Access to work as they can asses you at work and make suggestions which come with funding depending on the sector you work in. I would also ask to see your employers sickness absence policy.
    If you are classed as disabled under the Equalities Act then you are covered by the duty to make "reasonable adjustments and alterations ", but the catch word is "reasonable ".
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • amie08
    amie08 Member Posts: 14
    Thank you everyone. I think i will go to citizens advice to see where i stand with it all. Feel like I'm being pushed out from my job. I've tried to explain to them and given then information about my illnesses but not sure if they just dont want to try and understand or if they just dont understand.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk