Pocket Duties for Thursday please

prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 31. Jan 2016, 04:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Have an appointment this Thursday afternoon to see the surgeon.He will decide on whether to go ahead with my THR and if so hopefully give me some indication on when......... :|
Anyone who is free for pocket duty would be most welcome.
Ron
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'll try and pop out of work for a while.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Count me in. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Count me in too, I hope the outcome is the one you want. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    I'll be there, too. I hope it goes well for you.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm in. I'll bring a few bottles for afterwards :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Count me in Ron, and I hope you get a date..or at least a yes...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Well, if Sticky's bringing booze, I'll hop in :D
    Hope all goes well.
    Numpty
  • prefabkid47
    Thanks to all those coming with me.Thanks sw for bringing a few bottles for afterwards................ :D
    Will bring a few spares and a bottle opener (and perhaps a few nibbles any preferences?).
    Will bring a bottle of water for DD just in case she's still not herself... :(
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm still not right :( but wondering how it went. DD
  • barbara12
    Just wondering if you got some answers..
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    I'm back...... :!:

The appointment started well,managed to park in the road ouside the hospital and saved paying the exhorbitant car park charges.Also went in 10 minutes early................ :)

The surgeon asked exactly where I was getting the pain.I told him that I had got a herniated disc (L5/S1 position),but wasn't convinced that all the pain was due to my back problem.

I described my pain pattern in detail.He felt that some of my pain was due to my back but obviously couldn't say to what extent,but did concede that some could be due to my hip.At this stage I (and my OH) felt that he was against subscribing to a THR.

Almost as an afterthought he said let's look at the hip xrays.He took one look and I was straight on the waiting list for surgery.It was only because of my insistance that they were done (I felt vindicated).He agreed that even if none of the pain was hip based the hip had to be replaced........... :!:

I then asked about my knee xrays.These showed that my knee was perfectly ok,this agreed with my rheumatology clinic's conclusion (and my own) but at odds with my GP.

Came out much earlier than expected so visited my daughter and grandchildren,they live just up the road from the hospital....... :D

Have now to 'phone in a couple of weeks to get a provisional date for my op.Will of course post when.

Ron

ps Thanks again to all who did pocket duty.
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm surprised that looking at your hip xrays was nearly an afterthought, no-one (no matter how skilled they may be) can assess the state of a joint from the outside. Good for you in politely persisting, it's not that easy to speak up for oneself in that situation but there are times that we should - if not must. I'm pleased that your knee is OK, I rather envy you that!

So, it is indeed a new hip for Ron in 2016 - good luck old boy (as we say in this household :wink: ) DD
  • barbara12
    Glad to see things are moving forward for you Ron, think I said that my knee pain was referred from my hip..and hips are much easier than knees...good luck with it all
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Hi DD and barbara (and all)
    Thanks for your comments,of course will post when I have any updates.
    Ron
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the surgeon's initial reluctance was due to you having an autoimmune arthritis. They don't see as many of us as straight OAers and he might well have thought that any hip pain could be due to problems elsewhere though why he didn't check the X-ray first..... :roll: .

Anyway, the main thing is you're having the op and that is good. I hope it's as big a success as mine. I can't wish you any better than that :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Pleased that the appointment went well for you and you will be going ahead with the op.

Take care.

Meg
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good app,lets hope you don't have to wait too long. Mig