Weight loss can help osteoarthritis

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:10 in News Archive
Weight loss can help osteoarthritis

New research has added weight to the evidence that losing a few pounds can help the symptoms of knee osteoarthritis.

The study, conducted by the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, investigated the relationship between weight reduction, pain levels and functional improvements in those with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis who were taking part in a community weight-loss programme.

http://www.inspirearthritiscare.org.uk/news/weight-loss-can-help-osteoarthritis

Mod B

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Given all the evidence what now needs to happen is genuine and effectual support to enable those affected to lose weight. It's no good GPs etc saying 'you need to lose weight to help your knee problems' when compromised mobility, pain, fear of damage/falls, and low mood will make it just about impossible for many to help themselves, and just adds guilt and resentment to the already difficult mix.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I actually disagree for once, daffy. I can understand that people, especially those unused to pain, might fear the pain of exercising and would, at least initially, require some guidance.

However, this is simply about weight loss, not exercise, and surely the vast majority of people need no nanny state to tell them how to eat less? If I need to lose weight I just don't buy all the unhealthy, sugary, fatty foods that are the main culprits. When desperate I cut out the wine :shock: (Tears may ensue :lol: ) It's not rocket science.

Mod B – so the new research 'has added weight to the evidence'? Nice one :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    The research just confirms what most suspect: with weight reduction there is less damage for those with affected joints.

Caution - sitting down and reading lots of research may lead to reduced exercise... :D

Mod B
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    You are right Sticky - I ran out of time and should have come back rather than posting straight away. I think what I was trying to get at is that where the joint problems have contributed to the weight gain through reduced mobility, lowered mood etc then even the obvious solution - eat less/better - can seem too much of a hurdle without support. That's especially the case where excess weight comes with emotional baggage.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    daffy2 wrote:
    I ran out of time and should have come back rather than posting straight away.

Oh the number of times I've done that :oops: I quite agree with you but, in the dire straits that the NHS now finds itself, I doubt such projects will attract much funding. It's like the old Irish joke - if I wanted to go there I wouldn't start from here.

I have actually been musing if AC could actually do a bit on this front. Maybe posters for GP's surgeries and rheumatology departments just pointing out that Gain (in weight) = Pain. Obviously, access to a dietician would help but.... :roll: We know that people on the forum have lost weight while not being particularly mobile. I do agree about the emotional baggage thing though.

Mod B - :lol: There is only one rule to this game - ie we can't win. But, we can have a lot of fun trying.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright