Hello everyone

bing
bing Member Posts: 20
edited 6. Feb 2016, 06:44 in Say Hello Archive
Good evening, Ive just joined here and was actually advised by my gp that maybe I would get some support and feel better by using a forum. I have psoriatic arthritis and got a diagnosis about a year or so ago. I tried methotrexate for 9 months and although it cleared my scalp of psoriasis it did nothing for my joints and aches and pains so now Im trying leflunomide. Im feeling quite fed up and quite probably depressed just now so Im going to read through and see what help and support I can find.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Bing

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    modonfriday
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Bing and welcome. It may be a bit quiet around the forum over the weekend but there are lots of friendly supportive folk around who will eventually introduce themselves. Being able to 'talk' to people who share your condition and understand what the problems are can be very helpful - well done to your GP for suggesting it.
    The Living with arthritis board is what it says, and the best place for any questions you may have, Chitchat aims to offer a bit of light relief.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I too have PsA and after many years of trying and failing with meds I am now on a triple therapy of injected meth, injected humira and tablet sulphasalazine. I was unlucky in that I started everything far too late so what joint damage had been done could not be undone - none of these help with pain but they have slowed the progress of the disease and that is the important thing.

I have more trouble with the arthritis than the skin, I have a few small patches of P but nothing major, I think it's the meth and sulph that are helping that to stay away. I am shortly heading into my 20th year of this malarkey and I've realised that what I term 'working' for meds is actually very different from the reality of what they achieve. It's a culture shock to realise that, although we see doctors and take their meds, what we have is not going to go away - it's not supposed to be like that, in the 21st century, is it? When I was diagnosed with OA back in 2011 I was put onto anti-depressants and to this day still take a low daily dose of: that helps me to cope with things better than I otherwise might.

Feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to reply - you are talking to those in the know who are living at the sharp end of this business, docs know the theory but we know and understand the reality. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bing
    bing Member Posts: 20
    Thank you, meant to say Im Julie, hello!
    I do have many questions so will be on a fair bit I think, but will be a bit at a time as sometimes my hand/arm aches too much to use my mouse etc. and my back aches when typing.
    Im not sure how Im feeling though just now, its good to find others who are experienced but at the same time the reality of this thing not going away and potentially getting worse is not so good. At times I get optimistic and hope that Ill hit on that one thing or combination that takes me back to being me but most of the time I just plod along thinking that this is the new me and not so good either.
    Ah well, time for painkillers to help see me through shopping! x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello from me too. It's nice to know that GPs are aware of us and I do hope we can, at least, help you to feel less isolated. We all have different forms of arthritis – some, like yours, autoimmune in origin and others with straight OA. I have a bit of both.

It can take a bit of experimentation before we find the medication that is right for us. I do well on a combination of methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I hope the leflunomide works for you. Whether or not a med is working depends on the blood tests that the rheumatologist asks for not, necessarily, pain levels. It's rare that pain will disappear completely but controlling the disease will certainly lead to fewer problems in the future.

It's quite natural to feel depressed. Especially if your health has been good up to now. The diagnosis will have come as a shock. Sometimes we can deal with these things initially, hoping the medication will sort everything out but as / when / if it doesn't we start to feel much gloomier. Several people have to take anti-depressants.

I do hope the leflunomide will make a difference for you both in disease modification and in pain levels. Whether or not it does you can come on here and exchange experiences and expectations – and even have a few laughs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright