Hi new to this

Whi
Whi Member Posts: 9
edited 8. Feb 2016, 15:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi my name is Yvonne age 49 50 in May I have arthritis in my left knee, I had an athscopy 3 weeks ago to smooth and clean it out I'm not sure exactly what they did as I cannot remember what the surgeon said after the operation, I go back to see him on the 26th of February. I work in a shop so on my feet all day 8 hours bending lifting pushing trolleys etc, The surgeon signed me off for 3 weeks I was sure this would be ok but no. I have now been signed off for another 2 weeks, I've tried looking everywhere to see an avarage time, my knee is still painful and walking with a limp wich is hurting my hip. I kinda want to know if I'm doing ok I'm doing the exercises and going for short slow walks weather permitting lol. Also any advice for the future greatly received.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Whi from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Modonfriday
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Yvonne
    And welcome to the forum,my OH had an athscopy on his knee quite a few years ago now..he had it washed out at the same time..he wasn't in a lot of pain after and went back to work after a couple of weeks, I think it all depends on what they did to yours,
    You could ask to see the surgeon if it is really painful..rather than plod on with it..ring his secretary I find them very helpful..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I don't think there's such a thing as an average recovery time because so many factors are involved: the age of the patient, their weight, their over-all fitness before surgery, whether they follow the post-op advice properly, diet etc. Even small procedures affect the operation-site far more than we might realise, I had a keyhole synovectomy on my right knee and was out of action for six weeks.

it's very difficult when one has a sore joint not to throw others out of kilter as we try to minimise the pain as we move - that's a natural human response to any discomfort. It's best to minimise the stress on the operated joint for as long as possible to give everything a chance to settle and heal. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello there, Whi, and welcome from me, too.

I've not had an arthroscopy but this is what NHS Choices says about recovery http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Arthroscopy/Pages/Recovery.aspx . As you are not due to see your surgeon for a few weeks yet why not check with your GP to see what he / she thinks? Also check any sheet you were given to ensure you're doing the exercises correctly. There's bound to be pain for a while but your job sounds demanding for a painful knee and the last thing you want is to undo the surgeon's work. You could always see a physio privately for a quick check.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Hi Yvonne
    I am 40 and have OA in my knees so pretty similar. I had an arthroscopy last year and was actually very surprised by how long it took to heal. I was back in work after 2 weeks (on crutches) but it was a struggle - I am a teacher and had to sit down in class which is not ideal. I was in a lot of pain still - unfortunately one of my line managers had had a bit of work on a meniscus tear at the same sort of time and was a bit unsympathetic because she assumed my recovery would be the same as hers.

When I saw the surgeon again (like you my memory of the post-surgery discussion was a bit hazy) he said I would take a while to heal because "some idiot did a lot of messing about in there"! I think it depends on how much they do when they get in there and what they find. I would say that it was maybe a few months before things were comfortable and that it was fully healed after 6. Take the time off and rest - no way could I have been on my feet all day afterwards.

Hope you are feeling better
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things going? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Yvonne, Welcome to the forum, we are like a big family and try to give help to each other so don't be shy! If you enjoy reading I run a Book Club on the chit chat section, we are always open to new members. Again welcome to Arthritis Care. :valentine:
  • Whi
    Whi Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone thank you so much for your helpful comments it's good to know I'm not alone. I'm on the mend very slowly walking better each day alas not ready for work yet. I'll keep you posted sorry not written sooner I was trying to reply on my mobile which wasn't working have got a tablet now and I can see what everybody has written lol.
    Best wishes to all
    Yvonne