Back to work & thank you

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 13. Feb 2016, 07:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
I went back to work today after my gallbladder op. I wanted to say thank you for keeping me "sane" when I was off for those 3 weeks. Having this Forum to read through has, as usual, made all the difference to me.

I finished an hour earlier than my contracted hours - with the agreement of my Line Manager - and will do the same again tomorrow. I've got quite a lot of annual leave yet to take so the next few weeks I'll be taking Wednesday mornings off to "mop up" some of my annual leave allowance. This will also help me to continue my recovery from the gallbladder op.

As you may remember, the hospital didn't give me my gallstones back. I told my Line Manager this over the phone when I rang in at the start of my sick leave and he was relieved (think he's squeamish!). Well, being someone who has a mischievous streak I thought I saw an opportunity to do a little gentle "wind-up". I consulted a couple of friends who'd had gallbladders removed to get a better idea of what their gallstones had looked like. We have a gravel drive ... :lol:

Yes, I found about 6 small gravel stones and put these in a sample pot (un-used I hasten to add), a tiny bit of mud from the garden, added a drop of water and mixed the ingredients up. Looked very realistic.

This afternoon I waved my mixture-containing pot under my Line Manager's nose telling him initially I'd fibbed and said I'd not been given the stones as I didn't want him to worry about seeing them. Don't worry, I only let him fret for a few seconds before I told him where these "stones" had come from. He saw the funny side, as did my immediate colleagues! :lol::lol:

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Grace that is brilliant..bet he kept rushing past you then he didnt need to look :lol:
    You really have done well and I bet you are glad of some normality...but glad you are able to finish early and have days off ..you take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Well done, Grace. As usual, you are being very sensible about things - well, apart from the 'stones' :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    It was good to be able to have a little laugh. Mind you, I am always very aware of the "line" which exists between management and the rest of us and I'm careful not to over-step the mark. My Line Manager laughed about it, and so did my colleagues.

I was so pleased I took this morning as annual leave as I've been exhausted all day. Therefore I know this was the right decision to take.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Of course it was. Sometimes the mind feels capable of much more than the body. I think you got the balance right.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I like it! An ex-neighbour had a 'Gruesome Pot' in which she kept various things that had been 'removed' or lopped off, including her son's extra toes, one on from each foot. :shock:

I think you are wise to be using your annual leave in this manner, it's not really wasting it, is it? It's a chance to help you recover on a regular basis and that is a good use of the time - as long as you don't rush about and do silly things because you're not at work. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben