Beth Tweddle and The Jump.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 17. Feb 2016, 09:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have just heard that she has undergone surgery to repair/fuse two neck vertebrae after a bad fall - she had some bone taken from a hip to help the surgeons do this.

She is/was fit and healthy, had a good career as a gymnast and has thrown all of that away to take part in one of the most stupid 'reality' programmes ever. I don't watch it but I think Rebecca Adlington has also had a spot of trouble thanks to this nonsense. Why do people take part in this idiotic show? Is it the competitive spirit or is to do with the arrogance that comes with having a healthy body that works so ergo nothing will go ever go wrong? I am utterly bemused. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Money??? Maybe????? Extra publicity????

I heard about her accident too and I think there have been others during the programme.

Silly silly :roll:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    after going through gymnastics and winning medals then this..she could have been paralyzed the poor girl..I dont watch it, they must have good insurance :roll:like Toni says there have been a few injuries..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Radio5Live have replayed an interview with her, recorded very recently, where she said she understood there was a risk in taking part. I bet she does now that theory has become reality.

I understand that by today's fake emotional standards I should be feeling some degree of sympathy but I don't. She chose to do this, chose to take part in this commercial rubbish and this has happened. A gymnast (or swimmer) is not a skier - even I know that's a whole different lack-of-ball game. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    So true DD,they must think its the TV so they will make sure we are safe..I remember the poor man that fell to his death on the Noel Edmond show..showing my age now..think it was after Mr blobby.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never heard of the show but have puzzled over this. Why, indeed?

I know top sportspeople are ultra-competetive. They thrive on adrenaline. Possibly they reach a point where they require the limelight especially once their careers are over.

Even so, this seems crazy and utterly foolhardy to me and surely irresponsible of the TV company to encourage it. Of course 'ratings' rule so maybe everyone should boycott the show or even the channel. Easy for me to say,I never watch it :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    yes I saw it I remember her saying I can do anything I like going fast.
    Rebecca Adlington dislocated her shoulder.
    Barbara I remember that man on Noel Edmonds show.
    I think its to show they are the best I would not risk my life for that.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    I just remembered in the jump next week is no other than
    Heather Mills
    nothing I can say
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    The tv companies are trying to make as many 'fly on the wall' programs as possible, witness, ski jumping, following police, nurses, health inspectors etcetc. The worst was that stupid one with couples in cars, banal!

As soon as I know these are on I reach for my music headphones! The hardest thing is watching somebody else's idea of fun.

It's a grin, honest! :mrgreen:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Beth retired after the Olympics so no longer competes. She was the winner of Dancing on Ice and has appeared in various quiz shows and taken part in various challenges.

I was shocked to hear of her terrible injury and heard today she is leaving hospital. Poor girl is suffering from the usual abuse but what can you expect from bored people with nothing better to do.

A friend had a similar accident sliding into a barrier (but on a road) and has sadly never walked since. It could have been far worse for Beth.

Elizabeth

ps; its a love of sport and also a need for an income.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    this is it, when they retire from sport they need a new high, adrenaline rush, hence these silly high adrenaline sports reality shows. But what they forget is all high adrenaline sports come with some danger and sadly Beth has paid the price. I truly hope she makes a full recovery as she comes across as lovely person from her interviews.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I think the "celebrity culture" also plays a part as most people who take part in these things are trying to boost their profile. In the "old"days retired sportsmen and women went into coaching, journalsim or something related to sports, now it seems to be about cashing in and trying to stay in the limelight. The only show of this type I watch is Strictly. As for the others, they wouldn't be made if they weren't watched and no-one is made to take part. I'm glad she is doing well though.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich