Jury service

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 19. Feb 2016, 17:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've been called for jury service. I was called in March but deferred as I had booked leave from work and I'd lose the leave if I didn't use it by the end of the month. I've been called again for July which obviously I have to do. Has anyone done it? I know so little! I'm a bit worried about needing toilet breaks and stretching breaks while court is in session. Surely I'm allowed on disability grounds?

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was called about four years ago. I initially deferred as I was completing my dyslexia training and missing a lecture woukd have meant my being failed. I was called again about three years later after my neck problems has started. It was pre op but I was on reduced hours at school and was finding the pain made it hard for me to concentrate. I also needed to move and change position regularly. I applied for an exemption on medical grounds and was granted it. I can't remember the exact process but I know I had to give details of my reasons.
    Good luck.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I doubt they would stop a trial for a juror to have a break but you can apply for an exemption on medical grounds if you have proof. There should be a section on the form to apply. If you have any questions, there will be a phone number to call the court.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Exemption seems to be the sensible way to go: jurors are not allowed breaks and have to sit for hours at a time. (Mr DD had one of the most boring cases ever and was hard-pressed not to fall asleep!) I've never been called but if I am then I will apply for exemption on health grounds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good luck hope you can get the exemption I sure you will..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh Sophie.

In your shoes I really think I would see whether you can get out of it altogether :roll: It could be very uncomfortable for you

Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    In a way, I'm quite keen to do it. :oops: That said, my neck is causing a real bother and I'd hate to do something to exacerbate it and risk further issues.

I shall have a think. Thanks for replies, I didn't realise you couldn't be exempted on grounds of physical health needs.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I was called three years ago, so I wrote a letter outlining the problems caused by the RA itself, plus a list of my meds and the effects caused by them e.g. lack of concentration. I provided contact details for my rheumy, and also for my GP, who offered to write a supporting letter., but this wasn't needed. I received a letter within a couple of weeks saying I would not be required.

This was actually my second 'call up,' and they excused me the first one too, since my first son was due to be born the week I was meant to sit.

Hope this helps.
  • Starburst
    Thank you for the advice. Is there a form or do I just send a general letter? Thanks.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    There should have been a form in the envelope for you to fill in to say you are either accepting or asking to be exempt. If not, give them a ring and ask if a letter is ok.
    Christine