Tecchy question from a dumb natural blonde.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Feb 2016, 13:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yup, that'll be me.

Earlier today Mr DD and me had lunch at one of our usual weekend eateries but none of the usual staff were on duty: today they were all youngsters, i.e. aged under ten but probably not :wink: As a result the music was different, no cool smooth jazz but cool, smooth other stuff which both of us liked. For the first time in my life I was 'Shazammed' (and impressed too) and was told that the radio station they had selected was '100 Chill Radio'. I came home and tried to find it on both aged DAB radios that we possess but to no avail. I scanned both and again no result.

I have, however, found it on my computer and am currently so chilled I may fall asleep. :wink:

Why can't I find it on the radios? Ah, now thinking it maybe internet rather than DAB-based - which apparently are not one-and-the-same. I used to pride myself on my tech savvy but the world has left me behind, and not for the first time! :wink: I could probably get it on my phone but that's no good indoors - or is it?

Any help will be gratefully received. Gormless DD.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If you have a smart phone and wifi internet you should be able to get it on your phone.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD its one of the online radios, if you type in online radio stations you can get them from all over the world..more than the digital stations..the music is soothing.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Isn't it just? Plugged in on my computer so can't hear the world around me (which is disconcerting) so will ask The Spouse (who is slightly tecchy) how to tune in and distribute round No. 10.

It may be time to invest in a radio that can supply the internet plus DAB. I had an MP3 player which I loved but is now extinct because the electronic world has moved on. He bought me a tiny apple thing which was nowhere as good as my original non-apple, in that I couldn't make it work in the dark.

I wonder what my parents would have made of this astonishing world. Radio formed a large part of my upbringing, and still does because Radio 4Extra (my childhood) is vital due to the memories it revives. Radio is far better than telly because it enables you to use your imagination as opposed to others'. DD
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    It did used to be on DAB a few years ago. Great background music. I miss it, but I also miss the birdsong channel they used to have on DAB too.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    Oh yes, the birdsong channel! I too loved that, it was so soothing especially in the depths of winter. It was such a shame they took it away.

I've found a suitable radio so will hopefully get to J Lewis soon to see it in real life: it's been price-matched so it could be worthwhile but my knees are playing up. Norty knees. :x DD

PS I do have a smart phone but not the required smart knowledge. :oops: I can't even sort out the voicemail. :oops:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I just googled birdsongfm on laptop sounds great . Mig
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Tsk DD I'm surprised at you - dumb blonde, gormless...Neither of those apply to you. Just because you, at present, lack certain bits of knowledge does not make you lacking in any way, shape or form. A member of the 'yoof' section of society might well be able to conjure up all sorts from whatever device is thrust at him/her - but would that person be able to spell dyslexia let alone suggest methods to help a person with that condition? No - but that isn't inherent lack of intellectual capability, but lack of knowledge and experience.
    Is this channel you've found the sort of thing one can download onto some portable device to listen to at your leisure, in which case would a replacement for your MP3 be an option? - says she knowing virtually(and for real) nothing about such things.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for your very kind words, Daffy, you are right (as usual) it is a total lack of experience in these areas which is leaving me stranded. The young lad who introduced this radio channel to me had obviously done something techy because it was being played through an old-fashioned non-DAB radio / cd player, connected to the speakers around the restaurant. I reckon I can plug my laptop into his old hj-fi so I can hear it properly but Mr DD is flirting with the idea of going wireless. Mind you he's such a ditherer that won't happen until 2020 or later. :wink:

One of Mr DD's little presents to me in my Christmas stocking was a pair of headphones to plug into my laptop - 'You'll never use them.' was his dismissive comment when I opened them. Last night when he got in he said 'Where did you get the4 headphones from?' There are times . . . . . :wink: DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You can download birdsong on a kindle. Having been born at the seaside I have the sound of waves on mine.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    You can get relatively inexpensive speakers to plug into your laptop which may be less expensive than a new super sophisticated radio....just a thought! Being of the same generation (I think) it seems to me that we don't lack techie k n ow how....we just don know what's out there yet! But when we find something we see a purpose for we're smart enough to find a way round or have the perseverance to learn how to do it.......whilst still teaching I saw the potential of interactive technologies to excite and stimulate the little people I taught, then much to my own children's amusement found myself teaching colleagues how to use them :D
    Deb x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    There are some new formats around in the 'Dab' radio world and as far as I know Dab will be superceded by Dab+ or Dab++ sooner or later when the powers that be make up there minds, so make sure any purchase is future proof.

It's a grin, honest! 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    The Spouse took pity on me (about time :wink: ) and has connected his wireless speaker to my computer by doing something tecchy: I avoided finding exactly what by going to see our neighbour for a cuppa, a chat and to pass on some news.

I find DAB exasperating at times because the signal can suddenly cut out, cut in then out again. Apparently the Government went for a DAB option that the rest of Europe pooh-poohed because it was cheap: as always you get what you pay for.

The proof of this particular pudding will be proved next week as we are off for a couple of days to a remote part of the UK where the sight of a tractor sends the locals into a frenzy, where a mere mobile signal is unreliable and Wi-Fi might move at the pace of an arthritic snail on a bad day. I can't wait! DD

PS If you want a clue as to our destination GPs notes are reputed to often state NFN :wink: