A lesson learned!

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 29. Feb 2016, 08:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
I went to Edinburgh last weekend, to see my sons and grandchildren and also to see Gretchen Peters, who is one of my favourite singer/songwriters. I also wanted to visit the zoo, so off we went on Sunday morning.

I had my stick with me and the pleasant young lady on the ticket desk asked if I would be OK, as the zoo was very steep. It's built on a hill (or maybe a mountain :? ). Did I want a scooter? 'No, no', I replied, with a big smile, 'I'll be just fine'.

My favourite animals are the big cats, which, of course, are right at the top of the zoo, so off we went. By the time we had got to the top, I was beginning to regret not accepting a scooter. It was, indeed, extremely steep and I was leaning very heavily on my stick for the last few hundred yards.

The result of all this was that, by the time I returned home, the left side of my back was aching slightly. Over the next few days, this seized up and I knew I had pulled a muscle. It's been extremely painful all week and keeps going into spasm, when I try to get up from a chair, for example.

So the motto of this tale is, don't be proud (which was my reason for not accepting a scooter) and realise your limitations! It's certainly been a lesson learned.

Oh and the zoo was great, especially the lions and the tiger (whom we saw being fed). The little girl next to us asked her mummy if the tiger was eating a man :shock: The pandas were lovely, but asleep, and the meerkats were so cute I could have popped one in my pocket!

Meg

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tut tut Meg.So pleased you enjoyed yourself I haven't been to a zoo in years.Mg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Meg we are all guilty of this, you be kind to yourself and like you say a lesson learned I hope the pain eases very soon and gives you a break....(())
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    A good / bad day, then, but we all do these silly things. San Diego zoo has a series of buses which take visitors from one point to another. I'm not big on zoos for my own pleasure but, in the company of children, they're great fun.

How are you now, Meg? Easing off a bit, I hope.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Thank you all. Yes, it's slowly getting better, Sticky, but it's been a miserable few days. It's been years since I've been to a zoo and Edinburgh has a good reputation. It was a lovely day out with my son, but absolutely freezing!

Meg