An alternative to so-called 'health' bars.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 4. Mar 2016, 11:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
A friend gave me this recipe and here at NO.10 various cereal bars will never be bought again. I've just made a batch and thought of the forum because we all try to eat well, yes? If you have a very stout food processor you can make them in one go, but if not a satisfying bashing session can be had using a rolling pin and tea towel (plastic bags can burst if one is too enthusiastic). Thus I give you a chance to vent frustration - I not only care about your diet but also your mental health. :wink:

Ingredients

2 cups whole cashews
1 cup dates - remove the pits (I use medjool rather than cooking dates)
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract - NOT flavouring
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon runny honey (I use the cheapest for this)
Dessicated coconut to cover if desired

Stem ginger can also be added to give an extra kick, use 1 tablespoon of liquid and two of water

Method

Bung everything but the coconut in the proccy and process until it balls in the machine. Remove the ball (it's a sticky mixture so I use my meth gloves :wink: ) and shape into smaller balls, I usually get 10 per mix. Roll in the dessicated coconut and store in an airtight container in the 'fridge: they last for a week but may well disappear before then into various tums.

If you lack a weighty proccy but have a lighter one then put the whole cashews in a teatowel, wrap it up, find a rolling pin and bash bash bash until they are reduced to chunky rubble. (Such fun! :D ) Then add to your proccy and proceed as above.

I don't think they can be done without the processor unless one is willing to chop or cut the dates into very small pieces - I know I lack said patience. They are surprisingly filling and the slow-energy release is beneficial. I LOATHE cooking but these are a breeze because no cooking is involved - minimal prep too. What's not to like? :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks DD I will give them a go..think I have to give them a good bashing...save my OHs ear...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Thank you DD. Perfect timing as I was going to look again for my lost recipe for similar bars. Now I'll try yours and save the effort :D
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope that if you make them you both enjoy them. Mr DD is currently (digestively) a poorly boy and he has liked them to such an extent that if I don't get in first I don't see any of them. Luckily he will be in late tonight and I have a small surplus . . . . . :wink: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Get in, DD :D You've earned them. They sound delicious.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sounds yummy. Mig
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Have made DDs health bars and they are yummy didnt have runny honey so used maple syrup.I didn't roll in coconut but think I might next time. Well done DD. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm pleased you enjoyed them, Mig. I didn't bring any away with us so I know what I'll be doing on Sunday. Maple syrup sounds a yummy alternative to the honey . . . . DD