Gallbbladder update & toenail

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 14. Mar 2016, 17:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
Had my post-op check yesterday after my gallbladder op 16th January. Consultant told me the pain I'm still getting is coming from the scars. He's discharged me - for now - but as I'm still getting reflux says I should give it another month and if the reflux continues ask the GP to send me back to the consultant who'll do an endoscopy. If I have to have that done, they'll need to put me out as I've head horror tales from those who've just had the throat spray.

My blasted ingrown toenail has infected again. Been off the antibiotics for just over a week and the infection is back. Couldn't bear the weight of the quilt on my toe last night and it's red again so I'll have to ask for a phone consult with my GP and request a referral to have this nail removed.

I'm needing to know please how long - on average - it takes before you can wear a shoe again after having a nail removed. If any of you can help with this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Presumably internal scarring as there won't be much on the outside if it was keyhole but I guess, internally, there's every bit as much healing to take place.

Endoscopies are OK, Grace. You don't feel anything. Due to the arthritis in my jaw I have to have a child's mouthpiece and, due to that in my neck I have very limited space at the back of my throat but the only problem has been getting the spray to my throat because of access difficulties. It's always worked though.

Sorry, I can't help at all with the toenail thing. It sounds painful. I know when bowlers (cricket) have problems with toes and boots they just cut out the toe section of the boot with a razor blade.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Grace..hope you continue to improve and you dont have to go back for the endoscopy..Has for the toe nail sorry I cant help, I have had a lot of trouble with my toe nails but fingers crossed not for a while..good luck x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    I would hate an endoscopy too Grace, but then I am definitely NOT a brave person!!

As far as toenails are concerned 3 of the kids with Lucy's leukaemia got them (including Lucy but hers healed with antibiotics).

One girl in particular, then 19, was driving two weeks later!!!!!!!

I guess it may well be down to the individual, but judging by what you are saying about your bedding, l can't see you being in more pain after it. Hopefully a lot less.

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the replies.

My GP has given me antibiotics for the nail. I had Flucloxacillin (500mg 4 times daily) for this the other week but am now on something called Doxyclyine 100mg twice a day. I've also been referred to podiatry for the nail to be removed, as I'm known already to podiatry in my home town I'm hoping the wait won't be too long. I've give it a couple of weeks and ring them to find out timescales. I don't want to be on antibiotics for too long for obvious reasons.

My car is an automatic one and this toenail is on my left foot, so therefore I don't "need" that foot to drive with thankfully.

GraceB
  • frogmorton
    Well-done Grace sounds like you ought to be sorted out very soon.

Given you attitude to life and whatever it throws at us I am sure you will make a super-swift recovery :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Thanks Toni.

I think all of us on here just "get on with life as best we can". I'm a typical Taurean and hate giving into things.

I'm struggling at the moment due to recent events and then on Sunday I found my bath had a flaming crack in the base so it's something else I've got to sort out! I've got a £200 excess on my house & contents insurance so although technically I can claim it'll depend on the final quotes I get Friday. Then the premium will go up next year if I do claim. The insurers want two written quotes and photos showing the damage. How on earth can you take photos of a white acrylic bath showing a crack? They also wanted specifics of when, and how the damage occurred but I can't give that as I don't know. I can recall dropping a shampoo bottle but can't remember when.

I have an over-the-bath shower, a step and grab rails to climb in and out with. I'd prefer to have a shower cubicle going back in but I can't see how I can afford it with things as they are at the moment. Still, it'll be sorted at some point and in the meantime I've got the area taped up and am using the other end of the bath for showering.

Bright ideas re the bath would be welcome.

GraceB
  • frogmorton
    Grace - another taurean here so I understand!

Have you had the OT out to look at your bathing difficulties? Just a thought. I know they do mean-test you to see if you can afford to contribute, but if they assess you as needing a walk in shower????

Worth a try maybe?

As far as insurance is concerned how can they blame you for the bath cracking? It's probably wear and tear isn't it? Hardly your fault.

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the ideas.
    The insurance company wanted to know date and how the crack happened but naturally I couldn't tell them exactly. However, "Plumber 1" has quoted £300 for 'bath out; bath in' and £500 for 'bath out; shower in'. As I have a £200 excess and then my premium would go sky high I've decided not to proceed with the claim. That way I can have the bath taken out and a shower put in.

"Plumber 2" was also happy to quote for both options but has suggested if I have a shower I have a corner curved one as it'd give me more room. His quote is awaited - he said it'd probably be with me via email tonight but having just checked nothing at the moment so I'll chase tomorrow night if I don't hear.

Appreciate the idea re OT. Unfortunately, here in Kent there's a 4 month wait for an assessment, then a financial check (which would rule me out as I wouldn't qualify at the moment) and then for the lucky ones anything up to 2 years wait for bathroom changes like this to be done. For me, it'll be a case of raid a savings account.

GraceB
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi Grace
    I read with interest your plumber's suggestion to have a curved corner shower unit installed.
    Would endorse this,we have a curved corner unit and gives us plenty of room to shower in comfort.In addition it has hinged (rather than sliding) double doors.
    Double doors makes it much easier to get in and out and being hinged it means you can clean the doors without having to get into the shower and close the doors behind you (not always that easy).
    We bought the shower from our local plumbing shop (not a million miles from you!)
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)