newbie needing answers

alifpb
alifpb Member Posts: 3
hi,
been to my new gp today as been in agony for 6 days with my knee.

a couple years ago i was told i had a possible bakers cyst and had on set arthritis.
my knees have always felt like i have a bakers cyst, ive just tried to carry on.

im sat here in pain and feeling fidgety, she wasnt overly friendly, and didnt really listen or explain.

i wanted some answers to why my knee area is amazingly sore, why my shin hurts, my upper front of leg feels tender and my foot feels like i have cramp, oh and i can hardly walk.

she gave me a script for oramorph and suggested physio, she will look into when i last had a xray on the knee.

im amazed how large the area of pain i have, could any lovely person offer some advice x

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi alifpb,

Thanks for your post to Helplines. I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain with your knee. I'm going to attach links to our fact sheet about bakers cyst and information about arthritis and exercise. (If you'd like us to post you out an information pack, please email us at helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk with your name, address and mention that you'd messaged us on the forum.)

When a knee is affected the joint can become sore and inflamed - and it's the inflamed fluid in the joint that is pressing outwards which is a bakers cyst.

You may be advised to elevate your knee and use a cold pack on rest. But also you need to do some gentle movements to keep your muscles in good condition.

If you've known about your arthritis for a while have you seen information about arthritis? Managing arthritis is all about eating carefully to watch your weight and having plenty of exercise. It's good that you are being referred to physio - that's an opportunity to learn about helpful exercises for life.

If you've got any other questions, or would like a chat you'd be most welcome to ring us on our freephone number.

I hope this is helpful

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/227-bakers-cyst

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/299-understanding-arthritis

Kind regards
    Guy
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/

Here's are links to exercise and healthy eating information
  • alifpb
    alifpb Member Posts: 3
    thankyou for your replies and the help, will do some reading.

even though arthritis was mentioned quite a while ago, i must admit ive just got on with things, always assuming it was a bakers cyst, again, not sure if it was actually a diagnosis.

i think when i feel more confident with my gp i will double check whats going on with my knee issues, im amazed at the the amount of pain and discomfort.

hats off to those who suffer with arthritis and alike, i had no idea.