quick question about walking sticks

Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 11. Apr 2016, 16:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just a quickie - when I saw my hairdresser before going on holiday he pointed out that my NHS crutch is not tremendously stylish so I am trying to find myself something a bit more trendy as using a stick really helps me to stay mobile :D

Looking at the online stores there are a range of walking stick handles etc from crook style to 'anatomical' ones which supposedly fit the hand better etc. Does anyone have any advice about how to choose?

Thanks!
Fay
x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello faye I would go to a store that sells them,then you can try them all out..I made the mistake of ordering online..and had to sent it back, there are some brilliant handle out there that are so comfy..I always find the best shops are by he seaside..suppose its all the walking people do there
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Bear in mind that a walking stick does not offer the same amount of support as a crutch, so I think that makes it doubly important to try first. In terms of something a bit more attractive, if that's the word, Switch sticks are pricy but great designs/colours and they are foldable. For crutches, try Chic aid, lovely range of colours, 18 in all I think.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Ladybrown
    Thanks - I had a feeling that trying it out might be the best idea. There's a shop about an hour's drive so I will see if I can persuade the OH to take me. Quite taken with the idea of a tippling stick though! Purely on the basis that sneaking a little bit of booze is always a nice surprise for friends :lol:
  • Ladybrown
    I hadn't thought about the different levels of support between a crutch and a stick - I do quite like being able to lean back on the cuffs when I am tired in the classroom. Definitely some more research required
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Yes there is a big difference between crutches and sticks.
    I've been on crutches for just over 2 years and when I discovered that I was going to be on them permanently I thought I'm not using grey NHS crutches so went online and searched for coloured crutches or a pattern crutch. I need 2 of them.
    I now have a pink pair and a lilac pair and am just about to search for another colour soon LOL
    Switch do crutches but I didn't like the arms on them. That was a pity because theirs are lovely.
    Have a search online for something you like

Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    My OH got my coloured crutches from a shop on Ebay, it's a' by it now' company and they have a selection of colours. They where reasonably priced worth checking out.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I prefer a crutch to a stick because they offer more support, more security and (if you have the ones with cuffs) they don't fall down when you let go of the handle. I also prefer the anatomical grips as the 'load' is spread more evenly across the width of the palm.

The most important factor though is adjusting the height correctly: your hand should be just above hip-height and the stick should be held on the opposite side to the affected joint. I have a crutch on each side as both knees and both ankles are affected and now walk like a quadruped which also helps to 'spread' the load! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    An add to DD's post about liking the crutches with the cuffs.
    Yes it means they hang on your arm ...if you are balancing on one and using the other hand to reach up to look at clothes etc
    :lol:
    That's what I meant about the switch crutches...lovely but not goo for hanging off your arm when you are reaching up shopping :lol:
    Love
    Hileena