MY KNEE????

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 13. Apr 2016, 15:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,
Well Mr DD will have his op over and done I take it DD.
Mine is on Wed.
That's not what I'm asking. My knee is very sore.....both in fact but the left one in particular.
The pain is in the knee cap, on the side, very sore on the back of the knee. It seems to move constantly.
I've never had problems with my knees before....hips, lower back, scoliosis etc but not my knees.
This has been going on for a few months now. First GP said it was my hamstring and the way I was walking with my crutches.
Second GP said...no.....it was inflammation and a flare up. Told me to take an extra Naproxen. I never think of OA as having flares???? He sent me to a physio who said it was the way I was walking. and cut a heel insole out of felt to try that and then she would get me a proper one if it helped. She gave me exercises, but to be honest they seem to be doing more harm than good. I don't see her for another 2 weeks!! Its already been a week since my last appointment.
I try to rest.......honestly I do :lol: I put my feet up but that makes the back of me knee even sorer.
Any suggestions....Help please
Love
Hileena

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Maybe it might be worth having an M.R.I scan on it in to see if it shows anything. Because it could wear and tear? You will have to ask your G.P or consultant if they will refer you. I think M.R.I scanners are amazing tools. Hope you get to the bottom of it as knee pain is horrible, I feel your pain as my right knee is painful and is still swollen since my accident it's a good three times bigger as it should be.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you for remembering The Spouse; he returned about 30 minutes ago and is OK. It's not a pleasant procedure but a necessary one - it seems that the omeprazole is doing the trick so that is good.

Which side of the kneecap is sore? The inside or the outside? The knee cap is not part of the knee joint, it's there to protect the lower end of the fibia and the upper end of the tibia (I think I have the names correct). Is it the pain that's moving around or the knee cap itself? I've not had pains at the back of my knees but I'm not surprised yours are beginning to complain given your history of hip and back trouble plus the scoliosis: more than one joint is out of kilter there my lovely and that has knock-on effects on others. My bespoke insoles don't do much for me feet but they ensure my knees are facing forward for walking, rather than inwards which is what they do if I don't wear them.

I don't think that OA flares either but, if your gait is not as good as it could be then that would explain the extra pressure on your knees, hence their deteriorating. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hileena this is all you needed, think I have said that the insoles make things worse at the beginning, because you have walked that way for a while, but like someone has said I would ask for an MRI to see what is going on...I hope you can get some answers and some help with it..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi Buba
    I think an MRI is jumping the gun a little bit :roll: .....I've actually got an X Ray organised to start with. I went online last night to look for GP appointments and to my shock there was a late one for tonight...7pm so I'm just home. Most unusual......its more like a weeks wait. I certainly couldnt go tomorrow or Wed and I'm not sure about Thurs so I'm going on Friday
    I'm sorry yours is still swollen. It is awful isnt it.
    Thanks for your post
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    Glad Mr DD is OK......I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. I've had one before and it was the day before and the following morning that I hated. The actual op I dont remember much about.
    Anyway...Knee!!!
    OK...its the pain thats moving not the knee cap. The sorest part is the back of my knee. But.....sometimes its down the side of my leg{below the knee} and sometimes the front....but like I say ,mostly the back of the knee.
    You are right about all the other problems I have. All on the same side. Left ankle {car went over}both hips but left one that fractured 4 weeks post op and now left knee {mostly} This doctore is sending me for an X Ray but says he thinks that what they will find is arthritis. Well.....iff you know me.....I would rather know it was arthritis and then know what to do about it. How to cope.
    Your right about me being out of kilter :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Mr knee and my foot is turning in and thats what the insole is for.
    Take care pet
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi Barbara
    I havent checked yet but if you havent pm'd me I will you...OK?
    Did you pick up the bit that they are sending me for an X Ray?

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If the main pain is at the back of the knee and it's not a Baker's Cyst (which I think the doc would have thought about) it does sound muscular of some sort even if not a hammy. I'm currently into muscular leg pains as I'm doing them in style thanks, I think, to shoes that are not keeping up with the changing length of my legs :lol: (I see the orthotist this morning.) If it is muscular basic quads should help. I hope you get some answers on Friday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky
    Thanks for your advice. I might go for the X Ray tomorrow.
    I've just come home from having my colonoscopy....had hoped I could fit the X Ray in as well because I can just walk in now that the GP has written to them BUT I felt awful afterwards.....I had the top done as well.....tube in my throat and down to my stomach to check there. That didnt help the way I felt. Oh well had to be done and everything is clear although hehas to send this info to the consultant then he will get in touch with the GP. I'm copied into all mail so I'll get it even if the GP doesnt bother to tell me he has :lol:
    So we are planning the X Ray tomorrow afternoon {The hospital is in a market town about 12 miles away.......after the X Ray we will have a wander around there {depending on weather of course} :roll: and go for coffee and cake.
    Love
    Hileena