walking poles

Options
caz
caz Member Posts: 4
edited 14. Apr 2016, 11:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi looking for a bit of advise, regarding walking poles/sticks. I have arithris in both knees moderate oestoarithitis in both hip and also at base of thumb. I am a Cub leader and finding wallking with group is difficult sometimes as seem more tired in legs and knees. Considering getting poles but unsure best type anti shock or not , two poles or one. Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi caz. I'm way beyond walking poles but my husband, a keen walker, swears by them especially for going downhill.

If you put 'walking poles' into the little search facility (above right) several former threads come up. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    My husband uses walking poles when he heads for the hills, & finds them very useful. He always uses two.

In my pre- RA days I used to carry one when I walked our dog, purely for ' brandishing ' after a pit-bull terrier had a go at us one day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you are affected on both sides then you need two and definitely the anti-shock kind. I bought a sprung pair but had to ditch them because the vertical grip is at the wrong angle for arthritic hand joints. I have OA in both knees and both ankles (and in my hips too) but find I need crutches for shorter distances and a rollator for longer (which won't be practical for you). I hope you can find something to suit your needs and remember that your hands should be at hip-height for maximum comfort. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben