What A Pain In The Neck

LiberatedLouise
LiberatedLouise Member Posts: 7
edited 19. Apr 2016, 20:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have arthritis in knees which isn't too bad at present. Now I have a painful stiff neck and also lower back problems. I'm making an appointment to see my doctor soon for a scan.

I don't know if it's because I sit at the computer or if arthritis has travelled up the back. Does anyone else have this and do exercises help?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear I am sorry :(

I too am struggling with my neck at the moment. It's happened to me before and I have had surgery on my back years ago. An X-ray did show up cervical spondylosis (sp) in my neck a few years back.

What I do for my neck is: Anti-inflammatory (mine is Arcoxia because ordinary ones give me terrible bellyache). Then painkillers too, whatever you have been prescribed. There are creams you can rub in, but you must check with your chemist incase it also has anti-inflame in it - don't want to overdose!

I use my wheatbag as well to ease the pain, (hot water bottle will do), and sleep on a memory foam shaped pillow which keeps my head in the 'right position'. Before I had it I used no pillow and a rolled up hand towel tucked into my neck when lying down.

I also avoid sitting for too long alternate with lying down - my head weighs a LOT!! :lol: and have my lap top at eye height so I don't have to look up or down.

I have kept off the forum myself for a couple of days this week and it's now on the mend.

Best of luck - get well soon

Love

Toni xxx
    Take care
  • LiberatedLouise
    Thanks frogmorton for the reply and tips. I hope mine isn't too serious and I HAVE been at the computer quite a bit. I finally adjusted it to eye level where it's infinitely more comfortable neck-wise.

I'm glad you're on the mend and you're right - the head does weigh a lot!

Best wishes, Louise
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Louise

If you get any strange symptoms like tingling in fingers arms etc you must take advice from your Doctor safety first

When mine was at it's worst I lost sensation in the skin on my chest! The pain can be so dreadful it can knock you sick.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/types-of-arthritis/61-neck-pain

That's one of A/Cs factsheets on necks they have another one on cervical spondylosis too.

Heads weigh a lot and necks are a bit thin :lol:

Well done for adjusting your computer and get well soon :)

Love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Sitting at the puter may have led you to have posture problems and have exacabated the problem, but if you're susceptable to arthritis then it would happened at some time? Getting up, walking around, stretching, changing your routines may help. As Toni says, wheatbags are a helpful aid to pain relief, often a raft of things will help, not on their own

Keep smiling. :cheers:
  • LiberatedLouise
    Thanks Airwave for your advice and I'll move more and force myself to walk like I did in the past. It's too easy, when you have pain, to sit and not exercise those joints. I used to walk for miles in London and just took it for granted, but when I was finally diagnosed with arthritis also in my right foot, many activities were curtailed.

Just wish they could cure some of these autoimmune diseases and we can live in peace!