R.I.P Victoria Wood

rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 29. Apr 2016, 06:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Actress and comedienne Victoria Wood has died at the age of 62.
Yet another shock and so young too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36094827

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I loved her humour, and of course her wonderful Ballad of Barry and Freda, perhaps better known as the "lets do it" song. If you don't know it find it on you tube, a classic
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    How very sad and so young..I loved a ladies of letters and of course acorn antiques...RIP
    Love
    Barbara
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    We have so many loved celebrities this year so far. Unbelievable.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    She had the astonishing talent of being able to write about the every-day experience of life and to find humour in the humdrum but she could also make you pause with either bathos or pathos (I can never remember which is which) - a similar talent to Alan Bennett's.

We loved Dinner Ladies and she was very fortunate that she had such a wealth of acting talent to draw upon, Julie Walters, Celia Imrie, Anne Reid and Duncan Preston to name but a few. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    I don't think that was just down to good fortune, DD. Talent attracts talent and she got the excellent and loyal casts her scripts deserved whatever she did.

I don't 'do celebrities' but Victoria Wood was exceptional. She had a very clear understanding of human nature in all its complexity and weakness and yet her characters were all drawn and portrayed with great affection. She made me laugh and touched me more, I think, than anyone else in comedy.

Who else could have envisaged and conveyed so wonderfully the sexy potential of hostess trolleys, flameproof nighties and, of course Woman's Weekly?

Did anyone see her film, Pat and Margaret? If not, do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Pat and Margaret was wonderful, but she was also terrific in a serious drama she wrote and acted in, Housewife 49.

Her humour was sharp, observational but never cruel.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    How very very sad, what an amazing lady, with incredible talent. I must have seen her programmes and live tours so many times, I can recall the sketches word for word. Her talent to make you cry with laughter and at times, sadness, was brilliant. An irreplaceable loss. Rest in Peace Victoria, prayers and thoughts are with your family and friends.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Radio5Live has just played the entire Ballad of Barry and Freda (I got up this morning humming the tune and wishing I knew all the words).

I've often thought that when the clocks go back in October we should have national Brian Johnston Day; that glorious bit of live radio when he completely lost it to a huge fit of the giggles should be broadcast around 4pm just to remind us that the spring and summer will return. Likewise the 20th April should become our national 'Barry and Freda' day to celebrate being British. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Next week's(30th April - 6th May) issue of Radio Times has the words of the Ballad of Barry and Freda(aka Let's do it).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    I think the lyrics changed over time as she added and took away. I do recall her saying that she had to modify it as she got older because she couldn't keep going higher. I think all women's voices lower as they get older. I was an alto at school. Now a 'tenalady (as a singing friend calls it) and heading towards baritone. A conductor friend reckons his aunt ended up a bass :o

By the way, the lyrics to most songs can be found on the internet if you just google them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright