Ankle (Talonavicular) arthritis in both feet

Aix
Aix Member Posts: 7
edited 23. Apr 2016, 14:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All - I'm new to the forum and new to arthritis, too. But I had 'end stage/severe' arthritis diagnosed in December in both ankles, and two surgeons have said I need ankle fusions to get rid of the pain.
I'm 60 and live alone with my dog (who is v active!) and I'm resistant to having the ops! Has anyone had these and how far can they walk afterwards, is it difficult to drive and go up steps, hills when you can't flex your feet?

Also, has anyone tried alternative pain relief like cryotherapy chambers, PRP injections, stem cell stuff...

Thanks for any help or advice,
Debbie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey, you made it! Well done :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just in case you didn't find the former threads, here they are http://tinyurl.com/jogowxa

Unfortunately, 'prefabkid', one of our regulars who has had an ankle fusion, has just gone in for a THR op so won't be around for a few days.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Debbie , they normally fuse three joints including the talonvicular , subtalar and calcaneocuboid , I have had both ankles fused & may need the main ankle joint fused/replaced at some point but having knees done first

have never regretted having my ankles fused , only thing is I waited to long to have the second fused & have other problems because of putting it off , opperation takes about 90mins & stayed in hospital 5 days , 6 weeks non weight bearing & then into a air boot

you will still be able to move your ankle up & down , just the side ways movement you will lose , hope it goes well , you wont regret having it done
  • Aix
    Aix Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your message and information. Can you tell me how long you waited for the second operation - is one year too long? Debbie
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Aix wrote:
    Thank you for your message and information. Can you tell me how long you waited for the second operation - is one year too long? Debbie

I had first fusion in 2001 & second in 2009 , recovery is six months in airboot so anytime after that but talk to your consultant ,