Hello

Barbarbara23
Barbarbara23 Member Posts: 5
edited 26. Apr 2016, 06:19 in Say Hello Archive
I am new to the forum and just started on RoActemra with methotrexate I have PA
I inject weekly and would like to share experiences of this relatively new drug
I have noticed an improvement in my joints and don't feel as tired but experiencing cold sores and headaches

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Barbarbara23

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes
    Mod Bryn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Barbarbara23 and welcome from me, too.

I don't take RoActemra / Tocilizumab but there are people on here who do. They are more likely to see your thread if you re-post on Living With Arthritis. Meanwhile, maybe this, from Arthritis Research UK, will be of some help. http://tinyurl.com/hpd8kjn . I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and take fortnightly injected humira with weekly injected meth and daily sulphasalazine tablets. I feel no difference in my joints whatsoever (this is all too little too late, the damage is done) but I am pleased that they are helping you.

These are powerful meds so having headaches is not surprising and fatigue is one of the more common side-effects of the drugs: the cold sores, however, may reflect your weakened immune system. The disease is controlled by suppressing the immune system so we are more open to infections. I am an assiduous hand-washer and great user of anti-bac wipes, especially when out and about. Please tell your rheumatology unit about these troubles, they need to know. Are you taking any folic acid? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Barbarbara23
    Barbarbara23 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your replys
    Have contacted the arthritis nurse who has advised me not to inject methotrexate or Tocilizumab this week and to reduce the latter to fortnightly she has also advised Zovirax for the cold sores
    I just hope it does the trick as the Tocilizumab has really helped the inflammation and joint pain
    Fingers crossed
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it works too, You did the sensible thing and got professional advice.

I always stop my methotrexate when I have something nasty brewing just to give my immune system a fighting chance.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You are more than welcome, I am so pleased that you let your unit know and they have given you good advice. I hope the zovirax does the job and I urge you to keep in touch with your unit so you can re-start the meds at the right time.

I wish you well - please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben