Swollen Feet

ColinJ
ColinJ Member Posts: 46
edited 12. May 2016, 12:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,still waiting to see the rhumy,but recently my feet are gone very swollen and skin on the top of my feet have gone very bright red,can anyone tell me if this is one of the symtoms of RA,don't know whether to go back to my GP with my feet, any help would be appreciated

Colin

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    RA is an inflammatory condition so it could be the cause so make sure you tell the rheumatologist that this is happening, it's worth taking a picture as evidence.

There are things we can do to ease any swelling of the lower limbs, when watching telly or reading sit with your feet elevated and small bags of frozen peas make excellent flexible ice packs: wrap them in teatowels so they are not directly on your skin and return them to the freezer after ten minutes or so. Clearly label them so they are not eaten! I hope your appointment comes through soon and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Colin , see your GP , RA can cause problems around the joints on your toes & would be red & hot but it could be other problems due to circulation problems & causing oedema

take the advice from DD but see your GP as it can cause problems left unchecked
  • ColinJ
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    RA is an inflammatory condition so it could be the cause so make sure you tell the rheumatologist that this is happening, it's worth taking a picture as evidence.

There are things we can do to ease any swelling of the lower limbs, when watching telly or reading sit with your feet elevated and small bags of frozen peas make excellent flexible ice packs: wrap them in teatowels so they are not directly on your skin and return them to the freezer after ten minutes or so. Clearly label them so they are not eaten! I hope your appointment comes through soon and please let us know how you get on. DD

Thanks DD for your reply,my appointment is on May the 10th but I have had to wait 10weeks for it, hope all goes well.

Colin
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It could just be the RA but it might not. Possibly it could be a reaction to meds? We are not docs and can't diagnose, Colin. I think the safest thing would be to check it out with your GP. Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    I have spoke we my GP this morning,he got me in for blood tests at the the surgery mid morning,one of the other GPs put me on Naproxan and co-coda mol the GP today told me stop taking the Naproxan as he was not to keen on me taking it with my other medications,so got to wait until the BT comes back,just another little change as my foots swelling as gone down and my ankle as swollen now.

Colin
  • stickywicket
    I'm glad you rang him. You might just have stopped things getting worse. Elevate the ankle when you're sitting down but keep getting up for a walk round. I hope all is well with the blood results.
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    SW Thanks for reply,the Dr has requested for 5 samples to be tested from kidneys to liver & inflammation etc,what I can't get my head round the swelling and reddness as virtually gone on my foot and now my ankle as swollen on the same leg ?
  • stickywicket
    I haven't a clue why this should be, Colin, but, with luck, the blood tests will throw some light on it. When will you get the results?
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    SW Thanks for reply, time for results varies depending on the seriousness of the results,if one of the results was a abnormal result they would contact the GP today, if everything seems pretty normal it can take anything from 3-7 working days.

Colin
  • stickywicket
    Let's hope it's a delayed response then :wink: But do let us know the verdict and what will be happening to you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Colin
    I was taken off antiinflams because of kidney probs..so you are better without them if you can manage..I hope the swelling eases very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • ColinJ
    Been off Naproxen since Thursday but today ( Sat ) my ankle is swollen big time and also red, can RA cause this

PS Are Naproxen antiflams ?

Colin
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Colin yes they are one of many..I hope the swelling eases ..if not I would see someone especially if its warm to touch..
    Love
    Barbara
  • ColinJ
    Hi Barbara.No it's not hot to touch,one of my daughters came over today,she said the redness maybe due to the fact I was only using a very thin sandwich bag to hold the ice pack,she as a first aid certificate,I'm not quite sure if the GP maybe getting a little confused with this problem,as I have had gout for most of my life (since I was 25 now 71) and also diabetic type2,I had a scan in 2012 for another problem,that was more or less normal,but the GP pointed out that arthritis was present in my pelvis,l have only just stopped taking Naproxen (Thursday)so it's possibly not hand enough time to effect the swelling

Colin
  • stickywicket
    Oh well done to your daughter! Whatever started all this off, the last thing you need is complications with your diabetes and icing a leg without wrapping the ice (or frozen peas, or whatever you are using) in a towel is a recipe for disaster even for those of us without diabetes. I use a folded tea towel so several thin layers. Anyone with diabetes has to take really good care of their legs and feet.

Whether the naproxen caused all this or not, who knows? Certainly, ankles, feet and other joints swell with arthritis but ankles can swell for other reasons too.

How are things today?
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    Not to bad today up to now,I am trying to decorate our bungalow at the moment,so my manager as issued a "only feet up today" so we will see what happens this week.

Cheers Colin
  • stickywicket
    If your ankles are swollen and painful with arthritis I think a combination of elevation, careful icing and exercising is probably the way to go. The trouble with decorating is that there's always another bit to finish before resting. Make sure you give at least equal priority to looking after your ankles.
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    Many thanks SW
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory and should be taken on a regular basis to be effective in helping to ease the symptoms of arthritis: it should also be taken with a stomach protector (such as omeprazole) to help your tummy cope.

Gout is on the auto-immune inflammatory spectrum (my husband has it from time to time but he is lucky in that a few days of nap sorts him out and he doesn't have, as yet, any form of arthritis). I don't know much about diabetes so please keep in touch with your GPs about how things are going.

Ensure that any ice pack you use is well-wrapped in at least two layers of cotton: the cold of ice can burn the skin.

I have no doubt that these are tough days for you but I hope you start to find some answers soon: please keep in touch. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ColinJ
    DD Thanks for reply,I started to have slight swelling in both of my hands in October last year,I already had some colchicine med what my GP gave me for the gout,I started taking them if it was gout they would have cleared it up within 4days max, but they had no effect on my hands,so I decided to contact my GP,he was adamant it was gout but I did not think it was,it wasn't painful enough to be gout, GP upped my gout medication that had no effect,I asked what was my Uric acid test result from the last BT,he said it was fine,so being cheeky I asked him if I could have another BT for it,he said yes,he arranged it for me and it came back fine,my wife is crippled with OA, I had the same symptoms as she first had, back to the GP and I was very open with and told him I thought it was OA same as my wife, he asked me to go a colleague of his in the practice as he was pretty good on Joint problems,he told me he thought it was RA but not SURE,so that's where I am at the moment DD

Cheers Colin
  • ColinJ
    Got the BT results back today from last Thursday,everything normal,so pretty pleased with that result.

Colin
  • stickywicket
    I'm pleased too. How are the feet now?
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    Feet & ankles still a bit puffy,got a proper ice pack now,it's one of those that you can get for heat & cold,got it from Amazon for a £10 posted,the Dr has put me back on Naproxan until I see the Consultant,they do seem to help but I'm only on the 250mg twice a day,well that's the good news today for me, bad news today my Dr has told my wife who as OA that she must see a surgeon with the possibility of having a new knee cap.

Colin
  • stickywicket
    Oh Colin, that's actually the GOOD news. It'll be a knee, not a kneecap but I've had 3 and every one brilliant. It will make so much difference to her - and your - life.
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    SW Hope it does the trick,she's suffered with so much pain over the years,SW is it a major operation,and how long are you in hospital.

Colin