Is it worth claiming PIP?

icewater
icewater Member Posts: 9
Hello, I will try make this as short as possible.. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by the rhuemy. I also have high inflammatory markers in my bloods, I am waiting on a bone scan on my knees but my feet apparently have wear and tear. My hands ache if I do repetitive things.

These symptoms began in 2013;

* Extreme fatigue
* Vertigo
* Pain in back, hip, legs, knees, shoulders, neck
* Stiffness for 3-4hrs on a morning until pain killers have kicked in
* Cognitive problems, confusion, memory loss
* Muscle weakness,
* IBS, cramps in abdomen
* Dizziness
* Insomnia
* Depression
* Nervousness/anxiety
* Weight gain due to inability to exercise due to sickness afterwards and extreme pain during

Medication;

* Tramadol (pain releif)
* Naproxen (pain releif)
* Propranalol (anxiety/palpitations)
* Cyclizine (anti-sickness/vertigo)
* Oxybutynin (excess sweating/hyperhidrosis)

I've been referred to therapy and physio, I have not worked since January due to being a complete embarrassment. I was always late because I have a really bad do on a morning with my bowels (IBS) no matter how early I got up, it happened as I was about to leave the house which made me late, typical. I kept forgetting things, making mistakes, things that I had never done pre-2013. I was not unable to sit at my desk all day due to pain in my back, hip, neck, shoulders which meant popping more tramadol at dinner time, which I didn't want to have to do as it didn't always work, and by dinner time I was ready for bed, extreme fatigue kicked in. I was yawning at my desk, the whole thing was just so embarrassing. I also suffer from hyperhidrosis (excess sweating), I can't take anti-depressants due to this so I do talking therapy for my depression, I can't have botox for it as it is all over my body so I take medication which stops all water exiting the body, makes me bloated, messes with my bowels but at least I don't sweat all over. Everywhere I have worked LOVE the heating blasting and it suffocates me, my hair sweats my face swells and sweats all over it's just so embarrassing, it makes me feel sick and dizzy and I can't concentrate and be a good worker. I've gone from the most confident slim fit person, to a slump, overweight, tired, pained, broken mess.

I visited citizens advice recently, they basically told me to claim PIP so I have got the forms at home, I need to reply by 3 weeks time. I have a letter from my rhuemy explaining what we discussed at consultation (although some of it is wrong). Is it worth going through the hassle?

I am very nervous nowadays, I've just split with my BF also, I suffer with anxiety but I just drug myself up before I leave the house as I have hardly any friends and no family within 30 mile radius. I am very alone. I am also petrified of telling anyone I am going to be claiming PIP as I feel they will make fun of me. There is a huge stigma against the disabled unfortunately, as if they are lazy I have heard some awful things said from people, they have no idea. I am suffering serious financial loss not being able to work, I have worked all my life from 16 (I'm coming up 28 soon).. I have a 2 year old who is very energetic and I am afraid that because I am managing (because I currently have to) that this may go against me in my assessment. I haven't even filled the forms in yet, I also don't know what to ask my Dr to write for me in his letter. Do I focus on the pains and symptoms or my mental health, or all of it, I want to be honest and get my point across.

PIP seems to be about how you manage around the house cooking washing etc, I cook occasionally on a good day after tablets but I generally eat take outs as I am just too tired to cook and by tea time my legs ache like hell. I drove to visit my Nan earlier 60 miles round trip and I am laid on sofa as even with pain killers, I have shooting pains from the gear changing. I wash myself because I have nobody else but my poor 2 year old Daughter puts my socks on for me, she is very very helpful bless her.

I have literally read every thread on here regarding PIP since I have heard of it, but I don't feel like I deserve as there seems to be so many people worse off than me, it I don't have much self worth currently. I recently was admitted into hospital as I was suffering with a mystery virus, it was like flu/tonsillitis and pneumonia all in one, since then I have suffered vertigo daily, I can't bend down as I will pass out and get extreme pain in my ears and dizziness and hearing loss. I feel like a failure and I am only 27, my whole life has been turned upside down, I just waddle round the house.

I currently get income support due to my daughter being under 5, if I claim PIP will I have to change over to ESA? I'm scared of all this change!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Honestly, I've no idea but what have you to lose? why not suck it and see?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • icewater
    Thank you xx
  • Student80
    Student80 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Icewater,

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I claimed PIP.
    I completed the form and sent it away. 16 weeks later I was invited to a medical review where they went through the form and asked me to describe the difficulties I face in doing day to day tasks. I also kept a daily diary showing my good days and bad days.

I got the letter the following week to tell me that I had been awarded standard rate care and standard rate mobility with a back payment to the day I called to ask for the form.

The payment itself is every 4 weeks and it is enough that it covers the household basic bills and then the money that we get from anything else goes towards running my car and everything else that a family with two kids needs.

I would say go for it you have nothing to lose.
  • icewater
    Hi Student80,

I have a cheap small car on a 4 year lease, I'm 1.5 years into it, so that would help to go towards the running of that.

xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Student80 wrote:

Apologies for the hijack icewater, but I just wanted to welcome Student80 on behalf of the moderation team.

Student80 - welcome! I can see you have already found your way about on the forums with useful experience to share:)

Any problems you have using the boards please do send us a personal message.

Other than that join in wherever you like you will be assured of a warm welcome :)

Moderator Ellen
  • Student80
    Student80 Member Posts: 2
    Student80 - welcome! I can see you have already found your way about on the forums with useful experience to share:)

Any problems you have using the boards please do send us a personal message.

Other than that join in wherever you like you will be assured of a warm welcome :)

Moderator Ellen[/quote]

Thanks Ellen, I will pass on any information that I can!
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    I went for it. I was told that the first result will be no and the second may be yes or no and the third will be yes.

In my case the second part was a yes, not as much as I should of got but I was happy so on reapplying I will go for the rest.

Just run with it mate and tell them your bad days

James
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I've just completed my Sons PIP and mine will be 'happening' some time in the near future.

Have a look around at some of the helpful information online to familiarise yourself with the PIP process.
    Benefits and Work our very helpful site as are some facebook groups and you can ask questions as you go. Disability Benefit Solutions UK have step by step help plus you can ask individual questions but you need to join the facebook page first and they will ask you for your reasons to join (needing help to claim PIP).

They do advise that you get someone to help fill in the forms such as CAB.

Good luck
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Anny
    Anny Member Posts: 13
    I know it's been awhile since the last reply, but being new i'm still finding my way around here.

I just wanted to say that i was doubtful about getting PIP, as the government want to cut back. I went ahead anyway as i had been on DLA. Today i received their decision, they agreed to give me the standard rate Daily Living component, which will give me more than the DLA payments. Something to smile about as i sit here with my wheat bags, trying not to sit too long before bedtime.

So i would say go for it, to anyone.
    X
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Anny wrote:
    I just wanted to say that i was doubtful about getting PIP, as the government want to cut back. I went ahead anyway as i had been on DLA. Today i received their decision, they agreed to give me the standard rate Daily Living component, which will give me more than the DLA payments. So i would say go for it, to anyone.
    X

Anny that is great news I am really pleased for you :)

Don't sit too long ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Don't forget if you qualify for standard or enhanced care PIP you also qualify for carers.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • icewater
    UPDATE: Hello everyone, thank you for your replies, I had my PIP assessment last week. Thank you all for your encouraging words. I was very nervous as I certainly do not feel I am entitled to this money as a given right, but feel more appreciative that the help is available to people with health conditions. I threw up a few times before I got there as I was so wound up, didn't want to feel like I was on trial.

Lady was very nice but I was extremely conscious not to let her lure me into a false sense of security, so I did not ramble on, well tried not to as I do when nervous. I took someone with me, I followed my application form answers down to a T and did not contradict anything, I was honest so this was not difficult for me.

Will keep you updated on outcome... Hopefully should hear in next few weeks..... How long did it take everyone else to get answers?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, icewater. You've given it your best shot and it wasn't easy. I wish you success.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright