Hip Hip Hooray !

prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 18. Jul 2016, 16:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just thought I would pop on here and let you know that Ron had his operation yesterday and all went well.

He had to be at the hospital for 7am and he went off to theatre at 11.45 so he didn't have too long a wait. The surgeon has been to see him today and said "it was a nasty hip" :shock: and that he had a lot lot of tight muscle so had to do a bigger incision than he intended.
Ron has been up on his feet today and walking... Think he found it strange that he could stand straighter and not in all the awful pain that's he suffered for so long, just the discomfort from the operation which in time will go I'm sure.
He's in the private wing of the hospital and he's being very well looked after, can't fault a thing.

Thankyou all for your good well wishes it really means a lot, the support you give each other is just wonderful.
He will back on here to tell you all about his new hip when he gets home I'm sure.

Take care
Love Annette. ( Rons OH)
Xx
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Annette its lovely to hear from you, bet you feel more settled now its all over with for Ron..thanks so much for letting us know how he is getting on, hopefully it wont be long before he is home, but there is no rush I was in 3 days first hip and the second one 6 days..glad to hear they are looking after him..you look after yourself..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    So pleased it went well,now behave . Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 wrote:
    Annette its lovely to hear from you, bet you feel more settled now its all over with for Ron..thanks so much for letting us know how he is getting on, hopefully it wont be long before he is home, but there is no rush I was in 3 days first hip and the second one 6 days..glad to hear they are looking after him..you look after yourself..x
    Sorry got cut off..I meant look after yourself you will need all your strength for when Ron come out, getting the stockings on and off....not that you rely on Ron... :o:lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh that is wonderful news! Thank you, Annette, for letting us know how he is getting on and I hope that you are feeling a little easier in yourself now that he's done and dusted. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Wishing Ron a speedy recovery. Don't forget to look after yourself Annette.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks a lot for the update, Annette. I was wondering how it had all gone. I'm so pleased he's up and about even though the op sounds to have been a bit difficult.

Give him our best and do look after yourself too. It's always an anxious, busy time, isn't it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Good to hear that the op has been done and he's on the mend.

Please give Ron my best wishes.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Annette, it's been a few days and I have been wondering how Ron is getting on: I hope that all is as well as possible with him and that you too are OK. I wish you both well. DD
  • prefabkid47
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Annette, it's been a few days and I have been wondering how Ron is getting on: I hope that all is as well as possible with him and that you too are OK. I wish you both well. DD

Hi DD and all others who had sent their wishes............ :D

I really haven't neglected the forum,but wrote a long post giving in detail all about the operation experience,hospital,staff and accomodation but when tried to submit the post the site took me back to my login page and the post was lost................ :x :x

Took a deep breath and wrote another post and the same thing happened................. :shock: :shock: :x :x :x

Will send this and see if it works,if so will send an update... :!:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • prefabkid47
    My post seems to have appeared..................... :D

All went well and came home Tuesday with a bag of medication and physiotherapy 'instruction sheets'............. :o

The extreme and debilitating pain in my knee has disappeared so must have been referred pain from my hip and not the knee itself!

Have some soreness in the hip area and some discomfort but that is all...... :!: :)

Am doing my physio exercises regularly and going for 2 x 15 minute walks everyday (from the day after I came home).

Hope this continues.......... :)

Ron
  • barbara12
    Hello Ron its really good to hear from you, and so glad it all went well..the walking will really strengthen those muscle..you keep up the good work.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Lovely to have you back, Ron, and in good working order by the sounds of it. It's also great to know that the knee pain has also gone. Keep doing what you're doing. And don't give Annette a hard time :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Glad it's all over Ron shall raise a glass. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Yay! :D (DD dons her cheerleading outfit.) Go Ron! Go Ron! Go Ron! (DD flops onto her sofa, panting.)

What fabulous news, I've had a good Friday (as opposed to a Good Friday :wink: ) and this news is just the way to round it off. I am very pleased that you are back and doing so well - keep up the good work! DD
  • prefabkid47
    barbara,sticky,mig and DD

Many thanks for your replies.Will continue to behave myself and do my walking,exercises etc.

Am under the close supervision of Annette and cannot stray off the straight and narrow :!: She not only makes a good nurse but frequently dons her matrons role................ :shock:

(DD trying to visualise you dressed as a cheerleader,still have images of your outfit with the spinning tassels you wore on the cruise........ :shock: :shock: )

Ron
  • barbara12
    Hope all is going to plan Ron..let us know how you are doing when you feel like it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Everything as I can judge is going well............. :D

The initial euphoria is now over and the hard work begins!

Am working at my physio exercises and regularly going on walks.Am extending my walking gradually without over doing it,that would do me no favours.

Still no knee pain............ :D

Only discomfort is some aching and soreness in the hip and thigh especially after exercise,but this is normal and to be expected.THR is very invasive surgery.... :!:

Will be patient and determined and 'tread the road to recovery' (apologies for the cliche)

Will keep updating and thanks again for your posts.

Ron
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Ron, this is all sounding very positive! I am very pleased for you. :D DD
  • barbara12
    Ron I still get the ache in my thigh and down to my knee after walking..I am now 6 and half weeks..I have found this second one to be so different from my first ie tiredness and aches.. but have been told not to compare ...you are doing well ..and I'm so glad the knee pain has gone..
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Hi all
    It is now 2 weeks since my THR......so thought will give a brief update....... :!:

Walking....still using crutches,but now confident going out on my own.Found walking 'quadraped style' much easier ie move left leg and right crutch together then right leg and left crutch etc.This way don't shuffle and find can easily adjust weight bearing as I walk and also keep my back straight and stop my 'limp'.Am now walking just over a mile a day and slowly extending distance.

Had my first shower and hair wash today ..another milestone.... :D

Doing my physio exercises 3 times a day as told,all this is for my benefit..... :!: but do find that after my 'laying down' exercises I doze off,but the nap is more than welcome.

Behaving myself with medication.Incision is healing nicely though exercises do cause some increase in discomfort,but not too much.Main thing is itching............ :roll:

Will regularly update,hope to reassure others who may be also facing THR

Ron
  • prefabkid47
    barbara12 wrote:
    Ron I still get the ache in my thigh and down to my knee after walking..I am now 6 and half weeks..I have found this second one to be so different from my first ie tiredness and aches.. but have been told not to compare ...you are doing well ..and I'm so glad the knee pain has gone..

Hi barbara
    I was doing my post when yours arrived!
    Sorry you are getting an ache in your thigh and knee after walking.I know post THR can cause symptoms such as pain and fatigue in the leg and sometimes even down to the foot and can continue many weeks post op..I assume the symptoms are in the same side as your latest THR.
    Have you had your '6 week post op check and xray' yet,if so what was the outcome?
    Could any of the symptoms be coming from your back,were these symptoms the same as before your op?
    I really hope they get to the cause,please keep posted.
    Regards
    Ron
  • prefabkid47
    It is now a month since my THR................ :o :!:

Am still behaving myself and doing my exercises (3 times a day) as prescribed by the hospital physiotherapists.
    Also walking about 2 miles daily,with crutches of course!Do find that walking in the morning tend to get less fatigue than evening,but have to stick with it to rebuild muscle strength.

Saw a physiotherapist at our local health centre Thursday.She was pleased with my progress,and just gave me a couple of extra exercises to do including marching on the spot (if I remember 'newhipandy' had the urge to do this!!)But did say she likes her patients to be on crutches longer than some!Also showed me how to massage the scar,which is fading and gives me very little discomfort....... :)

It's great to get out and about now after being so limited by pain for so long................ :D

Have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in a few weeks time and will update then.

Am cautiously optimistic.

Ron
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    It sounds like you are doing really well Ron. I had a THR five years ago and I was at about the same stage at a month as you are now. Walked into the surgeon's office crutch free at six weeks and he was thrilled. Just said this to give you some comparison.

Good luck and so pleased that you are able to enjoy walking outside one more.
  • barbara12
    Hello Ron
    Sorry I didnt get back to you, I have had my 6 weeks post op and all was well , I told them about the deep ache and just say dont compare it with your last one, so we shall see..
    I will always have a stick or one crutch due to this back, you really are doing well there..I think if you look after the hip then it will be fine..I am interested in the marching on the spot ..not been given that one..the one I cant do is the knees bent holding on a chair or table and stick your bum out till the knees are over your feet..if they give you this one please be careful has it really did spark this back off..and carry on improving... :)
    PS did you know that the massaging the scar also helps to undo the nerve damage...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    You sound to be doing great, Ron. Keep up the good work.
    Steven Wright