A little altercation.....

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 2. May 2016, 14:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
I had an emergency dental appointment yesterday, as part of a filling on a bottom double tooth had broken. I saw a dentist different to my usual one. She said the tooth couldn't be saved & would have to come out - fair enough. I asked when this was likely to be, since my rheumy's policy is to stop injecting humira before & after a tooth extraction. At this point she said she'd never heard of anyone needing to stop meds to have a tooth out for arthritis and - in her opinion - there was no need.

All my details were on her computer screen, if she'd actually bothered to read them. I found myself explaining about what it actually means to be immuno-suppressed in terms of healing etc. Why do we give our medical history if it's never read ? - this isn't the first time by any means.

By now I was getting a bit cross. The dentist asked me had I any objections to her ringing my GP, to see what he thought, so I said " Please do, as I know exactly what he will say. He'll also tell you to prescribe an antibiotic for afterwards. "

I left feeling more than a little disgruntled. At least it will be my usual dentist doing the dastardly deed on May 18th.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Honestly wouldn't you think the dentist..if trained properly that is, would know the ins and outs of certain meds and condition's..thank goodness your usual dentist is taking it out..good luck 18th
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Might be worth mentioning this to your own dentist Theresa in case there's a training issue that needs to be addressed - even if it's just a reminder to read the notes! Also do you know what your computer records say - would it have been clear to the dentist even if she wasn't up to speed with the drugs in question?
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    The last time I had dental treatment - scale & polish & routine X-Ray, my dentist read me the salient points of my medical details to check if anything had changed, or needed to be updated, so as far as I'm aware they have all the info they need. She'd even registered the fact that my rheumy always asks for a week's course of antibiotics rather than three days.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Not nice Theresa :(

Luckily my dentist is wonderful about this and hasn't physically 'touched' Lucy's teeth while she's been on chemo. All her examinations have been done via X-ray or observation.

I hope you feel ok now. This sort of thing is upsetting :(

((())) to you

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done you!

I think the trouble is that there are no hard and fast rules. Everything is left up to the individual consultant.

My dentist and I agreed that I'd just skip my meth the week before an extraction and I'd ring in at the first sign of infection for antibios but I didn't need them.

I hope all goes well with the extraction. Never something to look forward to.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    To be fair if they read every customers note we would never get in to see them.
    At least she asked and wanted to learn

James