HI TO ALL YOU PEOPLE WITH KNEE ARTHRITIS

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 2. May 2016, 15:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
This is a new one from me. I've got arthritis in lower back, ankle, hips, had 2 THR's and a fractured greater trochanter bone 4 weeks post op. etc etc Most of you will know this.

I had an X Ray last week on ONE?? knee the result came back ....arthritis!!!!! The other knee is sore as well so don't know why the GP didn't ask for an X Ray on both. Looks like knees are joining the party as well now.
I can manage the rest of my arthritis fairly well but knees???? not got a clue about managing them so any advice would be helpful. What sort of exercises etc
Love
Hileena

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have both PsA and OA in mine - do I manage it? :lol: Of course I don't (and I don't often let it manage me) but I cope with it which is another matter entirely. How do I cope? Let me count the ways. :wink:

1. I use walking aids (which you are used to doing to too).

2. I keep the pain dullers to a minimum so that a) I can feel the feedback so know when to rest and b) that leaves me with an escape route or three when things become untenable.

3. I do a little then rest a little; if I know I have something 'big' on the horizon (e.g. we are going to friends' for dinner on Saturday) then most of Friday and Saturday afternoon will be given to resting as comfortably as possible and gently doing my exercises.

4. I grumble a lot under my breath. :D Doesn't help but has to be done.

5. I do occasionally use a wheatie bag or a hottie but as I run hot thanks to the fibro I have to be really bad to resort to these: they do ease matters a little, however, so can be useful.

6. I always sleep with a pillow between my legs, running from ankle to groin, but have to wake up to turn over which is a nuisance.

Here endeth my lesson.

I feel for you, Hileena, you have more than enough on your plate but arthritis happily finds a way to add to the load, yes? ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    Thanks for your reply.
    I know how many things you have and don't know how you cope with it at times.
    All the rest of my "arthurs".....I have an idea how to cope with them and what helps and what doesn't but this is so new.

OK walking aids........I cant use my wheel rollator now because of the fracture in my left side......I have to really lean on it {I know I shouldn't!!! :( } and it really hurts my other arm and side. Crutches seem to be the best bet but since this happened I'm finding them hard and I don't want to go to a scooter all the time.

What do you mean by rest? I find that the more I sit or sit on the settee with my feet up the sorer I get.
    I've just come back from an AGM meeting at church {about 2 hours} the chairs are comfortable enough but sitting all that time I felt awful afterwards

Any suggestions for exercises for knees? I am going to the physio tomorrow but the last exercise she gave me was on my back, bending my toes up, tightening my muscles, thighs and legs but I find the backs of my legs are sore?? and when I tighten them and push down on them it really hurts???

I don't use a hottie for my knees because they are inflamed anyway. I try deep freeze or some gel like that.

I'll try the pillow between my legs....thanks. The only thing is I cant turn because the other side is the fracture and I cant lie on it and when I lie on the right side eventually my shoulder gets really sore

Shoot me :lol:

Thanks
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My left knee has been a nuisance since 1997 and the right since 2003 so I've had years of practice. The only difference I noted when the other bits joined in was an increase in pain levels and my mobility becoming more compromised, basically every move hurts something somewhere but that's how it is.

When I was given my first pair of crutches back in 2002 I was fortunate to be taught how to use them by a physio, she told me that they are there to aid balance and give a sense of security but not to hold me up, my muscles had to do that. I walk as follows: left leg forward with right crutch then right leg forward with the left crutch, this means I can keep a more upright stance; there's no lurching from side to side and the stresses on all the joints are more equally spread but I have to concentrate on what I am doing, long gone are the days of strolling about taking in the world around me. My strides are far shorter than they used to be.

My rollator is of the kind where I can stand between the supports so again an upright stance is far easier to achieve. I tried a Topro over the weekend and I think that's going to be my next choice for an everyday rollator because my current one is feeling increasingly rickety.

I can't comment on the exercise you have been given but that is one of the ones I do and yes, it hurts but so does not doing it. My knees no longer straighten thanks to the OA and ops but I try to flatten them to preserve what range movement they have for as long as possible. Another one I do is lie on the bed with a pillow under my knees, then tense my thigh muscles etc. so my feet rise from the bed, but I don't have the hip troubles like you so this may not be suitable. It's all a blasted nuisance, isn't it? :)

I too find that sitting for too long is not beneficial so I get up and move around every now and again. If we go to the theatre I need an aisle seat so I can move without disturbing people, when we go out for a meal I will walk about (if the restaurant is not too busy) just to ease things and I now take a small cushion with me because hard chairs are just too much for my hips etc.

I've just realised that it's never occurred to me not to cope. I might moan every once in a while but, compared to many others in different situations, I'm doing more than OK. The better things in my life outnumber the arthritic troubles and that, for me, is always worth remembering. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Heleena
    sorry to hear about your knees. Knees can be very painful indeed. As regards exercise you might find page 17 and page 21 of our exercise booklet helpful to start with. I hope the trip to the physio goes well.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/218-exercise-and-arthritis
    Best Wishes
    Moderator Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I guess arthritis in the knees is just like arthritis anywhere else – a pain. The only extra attention my knees get are the quad exercises but, with back problems, you might need to sort that out with your physio. Why not ask tomorrow? (Quads are all over the net so no problem finding them.)

Because of the arthritis in shoulders, hands, wrists etc I've never been able to use walking aids. I've tried a stick when stuff's been really bad but, as my feet stick out, I just fall over it. Not ideal :lol:

I think, just ask your physio for advice, Hileena. They're the best people to advise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    When I got my crutches at first....well I was fortunate enough to be taught how to use them by someone called DD :lol::lol:
    I'm sure its not as easy to explain online as it is face to face :)
    But I've always used them the way you told me to even though people look in amazement sometimes.

Your first rollator was the same as mine wasn't it? {Days}
    I cant visualise the one you are talking about now? Name or make of it please just so I can nosey online :wink:

When we go out for a meal if we haven't been to that particular restaurant before when we book it Peter asks if it is possible to have a comfortable chair for my wife {she has spinal problems} That's true...scoliosis

Normally I'm positive and volunteer for AC and the people I see I think how lucky I am that I'm not as bad as they are.
    This is a new thing and has just hit me........I'll get used to it and get back to thinking I CANT do this but I CAN do that etc bottle half full not half empty but that will take some time maybe ....thank you all for your help
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi Sharon
    Thanks for your message. Is the exercise book {sorry haven't had a chance to look yet} a new one or the same as the original ones.
    I'm a volunteer for peer support and {they've changed the name so many times :lol: } I was sent a couple of new booklets....surgery being one of them.
    Thanks for your help and I will check it out
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky
    Thanks
    It is a problem when you have arthritis in other places as well isn't it. If it would stay in one place it would be much easier :lol: But it's not as accommodating as that is it???

Love
    Hileena
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Hi Hileena
    As someone who only has arthur in the knees (lucky me!) I also find either being on my feet or sitting in one position too long painful. I'm quite short so I find a foot-stool helps if I do sit down for too long because my feet dangle a bit on most chairs :shock: It's like being a 7 year old in some places :-D

The quad exercises are worth doing - I've had lots of variations from lovely physios over the years so I would be inclined to ask for something which fits in with everything else. The rest/active balance is a bit tricky to be honest, but I imagine you are used to that by now. Sleep-wise - pillow between the knees for me as well and sometimes I find lying in bed with legs up on a pillow is good too. Heat helps me but I think stairs are one of my big problems - I'm like a dalek from Doctor Who - stopped by stairs! I'm going down on my bum at home at the moment. Even slopes can be painful so that's slowly and with crutches. I do make a bit of an undignified squeak/grunt getting up and down on the loo too.

I hope you get some relief. It's a bit of a horrible shock when something else comes along, isn't it?
    xx
  • hileena111
    Hi
    You are right......it is a shock when something new comes along.
    I think that's whats wrong with me....its new....I'm used to arthritis in lots of other places so when this happened it was like being told for the first time {many years ago} that I had OA
    I'll get over it and get back to being positive again. Soon I hope
    I have tried putting my legs on a foot stool but that hurts the back of my knees so I'm better to sit with feet on the floor
    I will check out the quad exercises thaks
    All my other places that have arthritis heat really helps but the GP said ice cold gel
    Physio has said she doesn't agree with that unless they are really inflamed. If not something warm is more comforting and helps more. Got my hotties out when I got home :lol:
    I hope you find ways to manage yours
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    UPDATE ON KNEES :shock:
    The result of the first knee X Ray was arthritis
    I have just got the result of the 2nd X Ray ... right knee :shock:
    Over the phone the GP gave me the result. I can tell you what it isn't!!!! Its NOT arthritis......what a shock.!!!!!
    Everywhere inc the other knee is arthritis. He said it is non specific
    I'm going for an injection a week today. It was to be given in my LEFT knee I thought the right knee would be a better idea since it is much sorer but he says NO
    So I'll see the consultant before the injection and see what he says
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hileena I am glad to hear its not arthritis,the first thing we think is arthritis..and so do our GPs.. well mine does..it just goes to show..I hope whatever is causing it will settle down for you before you go away..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    I would imagine it's referred pain, Hileena, You'll be walking awkwardly from the other knee. But, yes, it can be every bit as bad as having arthritis in that one too. I'm sure you'll have read before how, when my left TKR failed, all my pain was in the ankle below it but the x-rays showed a perfectly fused ankle and badly slipped TKR. Hopefully, the jab in the other knee will help both.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Barbara and Sticky......Thanks. I have pm'd you Barbara

Sticky I know all about referred pain because between my 2 THR's they argued ....was it hip pain or back pain
    Surgeon that had done the first THR said this one was referred pain from the back. The back surgeon said no it wasw referred pain from the hip to the back. :roll:

So lets get this straight. Are you saying that the one that showed the arthritis but isn't particularly sore now is the one the injection should be given in? Not in the one that is very sore? and is giving me more bother?
    Sorry I'm having a thick minute or 2 or 3 :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    I don't get to decide where anyone, including myself, has injections :lol: The docs will decide that. But I'd be very surprised if they injected the joint that hasn't got arthritis no matter how painful it is.

I'm seeing a physio tomorrow about pain in hip / leg / foot. The pain in the lower leg is, by far, the worst but I'm expecting her to concentrate on the hip area where, I suspect, it's all kicking off.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Good Luck for your injection Sticky.....let us know how and where it went LOL

I just cant get my head around how the sore one hasn't got arthritis but the one that isn't sore {well ever so slightly} has got it. Especially when like most of us here we have arthritis all over :roll:
    Never mind...Ours not to reason why.
    I'll find out on Sat.
    Love
    Hileena