I've bought a pressure washer.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 12. May 2016, 12:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Our metal garden furniture is very green with 'stuff' and our numerous paving slabs are grey instead of a pale beige (which is prettier) so, after some extensive research, I trotted off to a shop and bought a not-a-Karcher washer; my choice has far more positive reviews than the yellow beasts so I'm hoping it will live up to them.

I was going to have a fiddle about with it today but it's been far too hot. I hope to be able to use it with some ease (I ensured I bought a wheeled version) and it may be cheaper (as well as quicker) for car-cleaning. It came with an extensive range of attachments which I am looking forward to trying! Do you have one? If so, how do you get on with it? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't have one, DD - but I know someone who does, and he's always singing its praises: so much so that I'm not sure why we haven't bought one.

Enjoy it when you try it out!
  • dreamdaisy
    I intend to but I've hit the first hurdle: I can't get it out of its box! :(:lol: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    We love our power washer...trouble is we let our GD use it and now we have her initials on the fence..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oooh sounds like fun!!

Barbara I shan't tell you what my Charley 'drew' with her Nan's on our slabs one year....might have a photo somewhere, but couldn't post it on here ;)

The results people achieve with them are impressive I think, but DD take it easy won't you? Just do a wee bit at a time maybe?

Once you have it ooot o' it's box of course ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Just make sure you don't get Mr DD by mistake!
    Seriously though, play safely and take it easy.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oooh sounds like fun!!

Barbara I shan't tell you what my Charley 'drew' with her Nan's on our slabs one year....might have a photo somewhere, but couldn't post it on here ;)

The results people achieve with them are impressive I think, but DD take it easy won't you? Just do a wee bit at a time maybe?

Once you have it ooot o' it's box of course ;)

Love

Toni xxx
    ooh go on I dare you... :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    You'll find that the high pressure jet takes the surface off of concrete and makes it rough, the mould/black stuff etc then gets into the rough surface and doesn't get worn off naturally so more work next year.

If you find its better for the car wash etc, its because you have it ready to go and you'll use it more in the winter which is just the tine when a frost will freeze the water inside and split the hoses and pump case inside, it happens easily, I warn you.

Its a horrible job and you end up stiff, cold with a aching back and hands.....

There are chemicals that do the job, with less fuss and cheaper.
  • dreamdaisy
    That's interesting, Airwave, thank you. It has a couple of lances one of which is adjustable in pressure but also a round-headed effort specifically for patios: I don't know as yet how that works. I still don't know now any of it works because it's still in its box. It will live in the garage so that should protect it from the worst of the elements, as will my new expandable garden hose (when it eventually arrives).

I've just spotted that an iris has emerged - yay! :D DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Dd, I didn't mean to put you off your new toy, I have learnt though experience. I have tried a few types of lances, the adjustable one is ok, I have a spiral one, it sends the spray round and down, it is the most efficient.

I also tried a brush one but the jet of water is not powerful enough to work it. Make sure you get as much water out of the machine before the winter comes.

The best I have tried was paying a gardener £10 per hour and equipping him with a deck scrubber from b n q(about 4 squid), some Jayes fluid, a hose and a couple of cups of tea. He cleared mums paths and patio in 2 hours!
  • dreamdaisy
    You haven't put me off at all, it was assembled today and is very effective! The patio brush is the way to go, it cleans more gently than the power lance but that is far more fun! The tools are easily stored on board the machine but whether I will be able to make it work or not is open to debate! DD