Swollen Feet

2»

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes it's a major op but a very common, routine one with usually excellent outcomes. These days you're only in hospital for a few days. A friend was out after three though it might be up to a week. Tell her to prepare beforehand doing the exercises she'll be given as that will make recovery quicker and easier. It's a great op and I hope it helps her as much as it's helped me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Colin
    I hope the Naproxen helps until you get to see your rheumatologist. As SW says knee replacements are a major but common operation these days. Here is a link to our booklet all about surgery and arthritis. It might be useful for you and your wife to read https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/224-surgery-and-arthritis
    If you want more information you can phone our free helpline on 0808 800 4050
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Member Posts: 46
    Thanks SW & Sharon for your replies

Colin
  • ColinJ
    Well yesterday I seen the the rheumy, had loads of X-rays and blood tests,when into to see the Dr after the X-rays for a quick look at the xrays, she showed me the X-rays of my hands the middle finger on both hands have problems,but she said she is not quite sure what my problem is,she said it could be gout with a touch of RA or a touch of OA/gout or gout on its own, I'm not convinced about this gout problem along with the others,she gave me steroid injection in my back side before leaving saying that should ease it but I have still got swollen feet / ankles today,she's made me another appointment in 6 weeks time,as we are going away for a weeks holiday on the 24th May

Colin
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It can be very difficult to pinpoint which autoimmune form of arthritis is causing what and it doesn't usually matter as the medication is generally the same.

Steroid jabs help some people but not others so there are no guarantees but I hope you'll be one of the lucky ones.

As for the swollen ankles – I guess whether or not the steroids help will depend on what is causing them to swell. Other things, besides arthritis, can cause swollen ankles.

I hope the jab helps and you can enjoy your holiday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ColinJ
    Good morning SW,at the moment I'm certain the jab is not doing any good,seems funny though as yesterday I was on my feet most of the day as we were having new carpets in two rooms of our house, I was not getting any pain in my ankle or foot,but when we had finished tidying up I took my sock off and my ankle was very swollen, on goes the ice pack,after a couple of the hours the swelling had gone down,the bit that baffles me is its not that painful,personally I don't think it's gout as I have that under control for 46 years and that's extremely painful when it comes on,mentally it's doing my head in as I am a very active person for my age,and some of the things I do I can't do them at the moment.

Colin
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Swelling is not necessarily painful and can be caused by all kinds of things: the heat, a side-effect of medication (my husband is suffering from swelling to the legs probably thanks to his double dose of omeprazole interacting with his BP meds), being too long on one's feet and so it goes on. I always sit with my feet raised and that helps to keep it at bay, my meds are effective but even so it can come from nowhere. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben