disc replacement or fusion?

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 23. May 2016, 15:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have been to see a Neuro surgeon today as despite months/years of physio, SI joint injections and epidural by pain team, and of course pain dullers I am really struggling day to day with my lumbar spine. I have had my MRI in March and I was told I have 2 bulging discs so was expecting either to be told nothing to be done or discectomy. But he showed me my MR images and I have a totally worn out disc which has resulted in inflammation in the vertebrae above and below . He has discussed either a spinal fusion or a disc replacement. As I wasn`t expecting that, I am now doing my research before going back to see him for more xrays, and if I decide I want surgery, a discogram.
So I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of either procedure?
Thanks
NB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've no experience of this, NB, but, if you put 'spinal fusion' in the AC search engine, a lot of threads come up. I hope you'll feel satisfied with your choice. Never easy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Hi, I had a disc replacement in my neck last week. I was told that the theory is that the replacement is very like a natural disc in that it has a great deal of movement in it so that it should protect the discs above and below from wearing out and give you good movement in the area replaced.

This is a theory however as they have only been doing this as a mainstream treatment for ten years which my surgeon says is very short in medical terms. I went with the theory and thought that it was a good option for me. I now have to be patient and give it time to find out if it has worked.
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks Sticky- I will take a look.
    Rayray- Thanks for your reply. I hop your recovery is going well. I have been reading around the subjects and am leaning towards the replacement if my discogram is positive. I read that the fusion can cause damage to vertebrae above and below the fusion, and I don`t want further surgery down the line. It`s all a bit new to me and I need to get my head around it all . The disc I need sorting is L4/5
    Take care
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello NB
    I am so glad to see they have got to the bottom of your pain, but sorry it involved surgery, I am down for a discectomy or a fusion..but at the min I have declined, but have been told it might be out of my hands if things go worse..I didnt even know they did this op..I hope you can get lots of info together..and it helps to make up your mind...wishing you well..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for your reply. I have pm`d you x
    NB