Upgrade.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. May 2016, 03:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
That's usually a word associated with getting something better than one paid for (in terms of compensation) but I've done that and paid for it. Needs must.

I don't know who will remember that the offisde front wheel fell off my rollator when on me hols in 2014 (I think I called the thread Three Wheels on my Wagon) but I do and with reason: yes, The Spouse effected an on-site repair but I have not felt too confident in that piece of kit since that episode; it's been getting worse due to wear and tear (where have I heard that term? :wink:) so today I went in search of a new set of wheels thanks to the approach of a Bank Holiday and us going away come early June.

Me being me I have approached a number of rollator users over the past few months, tried theirs and concluded that one make was the way to go. It lacks some of the features I liked about mine (viz. hidden brake cables plus the fact that the handles could be folded to rest upon the struts) but this new one is lighter than mine, has a number of custom-made attachments plus a seven-year guarantee. Earlier this evening the garden of No.10 witnessed me and Mr DD trying both, comparing and contrasting, and both agreeing that the new one is worth every penny. I had to buy a backstrap but, as I see it, that was money well spent because it is adjustable.

It's fabulous. I went for a walk around the block and felt both comfortable and reassured, which for me is important.

I wish you all well.

DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good luck to you and your rollator- the happy couple!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Customised, eh? So, spikey wheels? Enormous headlights? Please tell me I will not hear the approach of your thudding base line here in Yorkshire :lol:

Good for you, DD. We need strong and safe. An untrustworthy rollator must be a nightmare to use.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    DD
    I also noticed your rollator had been customised................ :!:

I assume this includes a non spill drinks holder the right dimensions to take a pint glass.............. :lol:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    its sounds brilliant DD..there will be no stopping you now.does it have a satnav... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Excellent news, way to go XX
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sorry but whats a back strap ? does it actually fit round your back ?
    Good idea for a drinks holder Ron. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you everyone for your lovely replies. The backstrap is fitted between the back of the handgrips and offers support so one doesn't topple backwards when seated: my old one was already equipped and, having sat on the new one without, decided it would be a good idea. I also bought a stick holder so if I need to 'abandon' the rollator (such as when in a restaurant) I can still get about with a prop. I can also purchase reflectors, a torch (maybe two could be my headlights!) a customised umbrella (sensible methinks) and a whole host of other stuff all designed specifically for my make and model.

If I decide upon a bottle holder the contents will always be water. :wink: If the weather holds over the weekend I will trot over to our local park for a gentle, enjoyable and secure stroll. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben