giving blood?

Options
bluebell
bluebell Member Posts: 25
edited 7. Jun 2016, 17:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone give blood? I keep getting texts saying they need my blood group (O-neg), but actually they told me i can't give at the minute while I'm still having tests, and until any medication is decided :/

So 2 questions i guess.... Can you still give blood with psoriatic arthritis, i.e. Will i ever be able to give blood again? And, can any of you give blood for me and ease my guilt at not being able to give right now? ;)

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know if you'll be able to give blood again; but I can relate to the guilt - I had a transfusion in 1986, so they don't want mine, likewise my bone marrow. I feel guilty because I lost my nephew to leukaemia and would love to be able to give blood/bone marrow in an attempt to help others with this awful disease.
  • bluebell
    bluebell Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I've recruited 3 new donors today... but still feel guilty. never understood why everyone doesn't do it.

sorry to hear of your nephew xx
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Well done on the recruitment. Don't feel guilty - you can't help it!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    I used to be a blood donor - got my silver award! Had to stop as my iron levels weren't high enough for their new scoring system. Shame as I was also on the bone marrow donor register.

With my usual pain meds I was able to donate although they could only use part of the donation - I think it was the plasma. However, they always said I couldn't donate if I was in pain. I have OA as you may know and I know the drugs are dramatically different for PsA. When I had to give up I rang the Blood Donor Service and asked them to stop calling me in. They were fine with this. Have you tried ringing the Blood Donor Helpline and speaking to a human? I expect they'll have to get back to you but at least you'll get a definitive answer eventually.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with RA, they told me that I couldn't donate as I was on meds. Once I came off the meds (they were affecting my liver), I was allowed to donate again. 49 donations so far. I always ask people to go along to make up for any I miss due to illness, holidays etc. And because 2 family members had a few transfusions, I always feel as if I have to pay it back. You've done well getting 3 new donors. Don't feel guilty. You've done what you can and that's to be applauded.
    Christine