Feeling a bit lost and needing some moral support!

Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 12. Jul 2016, 08:07 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, Ive been suffering from what my doctor refers to as poly-arthritis for 10 weeks now and have been in so much pain that I've been off work for the entire time.

My symptoms appeared over a 2 day period and it was really quite frightening. I had been so happy, running, working and enjoying my new home when suddenly my wrists, fingers, ankles, knees and feet became swollen and so painful I couldn't walk or grip things with my hands. My doctor told me that it was an arthritic reaction to a virus and it would go away on its own. Sadly it hasn't gone or even got any better. My doctor now thinks there's a possibility that it's an auto-immune disorder.

I've had 3 lots of blood tests and my CRP in the last lot was 42 but other than being slightly anaemic the other tests were clear. I'm on naproxen which takes the edge off the pain and I have got an appointment with a rheumatologist in 2 weeks time. I just hope I get some answers and help at my appointment so I can start to get better and back to a normal life.

Any tips on attending the first appointment with a rheumatologist would be great and any encouragement that there is help out there and I may feel better one day would be good!

Thanks for reading my rather long post!

Rachel x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Rachel

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

You may like to read the section on Pain Management on this website that some members have found helpful: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/coping-with-pain

All best wishes
    Mod Bryn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Rachel and welcome from me too. Of course you are anxious and, no doubt, somewhat bewildered with the sudden turn that your life has taken. Pain itself can be frightening, especially when it comes on suddenly and for no obvious reason.

The good news is that you have a very good GP who has not let things slide. If you do have some autoimmune form of arthritis (There are many) the sooner you see a consultant and get on some disease modifying medication the better the outlook. Two weeks is a very speedy appointment.

It's years since my first appointment and all consultants differ slightly so I can't tell you what will happen though there'll probably be more bloods taken. Just listen carefully and tell it like it is and, if possible, take someone with you as a second pair of ears to remember all that's said.

If you re-post on the Living With Arthritis forum, asking about first appointments, someone who has been through it more recently might, hopefully, see it and answer. Meanwhile we are all here for support.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello Rach101,

Be sure to use the appointment to its utmost.
    Give the rheumatologist the fullest information of your
    condition and pay attention to all he/she says.
    Spend as much time at it as you feel necessary.
    It is your body, your condition, your pain, your problem,
    Your life and it is of most importance to you.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    You've come to the right place for support and encouragement Rachel, there are many lovely and experienced folk here who will listen and help. As Sticky says, the LWA board is where the arthritis action is, but Chit-chat provides light relief and something else to think about.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am very sorry you have had to find us. There are many kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions, those of us with them occasionally navigate some very intricate medical mazes! I have psoriatic arthritis but without too much of the skin trouble, an accurate diagnosis took some years but my EXR and CRP were always the giveaway, at their worst they were in the 160s-170s. Thanks to the medication they are now negligible which is why I know the meds are working.

Please keep in touch with us, you are talking to the reluctantly initiated but we know our stuff and do understand. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben