Brave New World?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 16. Jul 2016, 06:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
I admire Theresa May's intentions and chutzpah (Bojo as a diplomat? Did she run that one by Barack Obama first?) but what will she be able to deliver in the post-Brexit recession that is heading towards us?

I do love the fact that she has put the Brexit negotiations in the hands of Brexiteers.

I just hope she wrenches the NHS away from Jeremy Hunt before he dismantles it completely. Former GP Sarah Wollaston might be a good choice.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Its all very interesting SW I couldn't wait to see who she would choose for her cabinet..Boris is the least diplomatic person we know so I wounder why she choose him :? ..only she knows...I was surprised that she got rid of Gove ..but then he did put his foot in things..cant wait to see who the Brexiteers. will be...
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    It does look as if Jeremy Hunt is no longer the Health Minister which I think is a very wise decision. I'd love to see Heidi Allen get the Work and pensions job.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    False alarm about Jeremy Hunt. He keeps his job. Thank you BBC for getting my hopes up and then crashing them again!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Me too, Elizabeth. I predict more cuts, fewer staff and long, long waits for appointments. Not good news for the NHS.

Barbara – Theresa May has created a new cabinet position of Secretary of State for Exiting the EU - David Davis. Foreign Secretary is Boris Johnson and Secretary of State for International Trade is Liam Fox – all Brexiteers. So, I guess, basically she's telling them to put their money / careers where their mouths were.

It's definitely different. No-one could accuse her of cowardice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh know I also thought Jeremy had gone..wonder if he will have a free hand ..I hope not
    I just hope against hope that Mrs May will do has she said and help the working poor..
    Has for the Brexiteers we shall see...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I too love how she has handled the Brexiters, and am gutted that Jeremy Hunt is still at Health, I had hoped that he would be moved.
    Very glad though that Nicky Morgan has gone, I think she was very lucky not to have been sacked before, since she chose not to do the decent thing as resign, the number of things that have gone wrong or been mis-managed on her watch has been unbelievable. Be interesting to see how Justine Greening gets on, but it was good that she has started by thanking her teachers.
    Biggest change? Apart from Boris all the old Etonians have gone, and some not only went to comprehensive schools but to red brick universities.

I have a feeling Theresa May has been planning this a long time.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I have read that BoJo's new appointment is one that gives him limited powers to actually implement anything, so he has the chance to sink or swim without leaving too much of a mess(other than ruffled diplomatic feathers)
    Once Mr Hunt has imposed his contract on the JDs the next target will likely be the consultants, as one of the important groups which, unlike the JDs, are not already required to work 24/7 as standard.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Well, our new PM has stated that she will not move on Brexit until Mrs Sturgeon agrees on behalf of Scotland. Mrs Sturgeon doesn't recognise her countries democracy (Scottish referendum)or the recent GB referendum, she will always disagree on principle unless she gets her own way.

Will this be the start of another fudge when nobody gets what they want?

I think BJ for Foreign Secretary of State is not a bad choice, he has clear communicating skills, is an intelligent man who is at ease moving in the higher circles of government, he may have the type of personality that leads diplomats to talk with him which is a good start. He will be backed up by a strong team used to the ways of politicians. A strong sense of humour is not necessarily a bad character trait for a front man.