Hip Hip Hooray !

2»

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi all

It is now 6 weeks since my THR so thought would give a brief update!

Hip scar is healing well,massaging and treating with bio oil daily.Occasional slight soreness and twinges but usually after exercise or full weight bearing,otherwise no problem.

Still walking one and a half to two miles everyday but using crutches on the orders of my physiotherapist.Must confess that during each walk I do 50 paces without one crutch,then 50 without the other and finally 50 without crutches (just testing!) ............. :shock:
    Indoors have now dispensed with crutches and now on sticks.
    Am due to see my physiotherapist this Thursday,be interesting to see what she says.

Am still doing my exercises three times a day,bit of a drag but persisting and behaving myself............... :!:

Finished taking my blood thinning tablets last week and today,at last,stopped wearing my compression stockings............... :D

My improved mobility has resurrected my social life which for months before my THR had been on hold............ :cry:Hopefully this will improve further since plan to start driving again tomorrow!

Not due to go to orthopaedic clinic until end of June,so will update again if not before.

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That all sounds like great progress, Ron. I do like the 'still doing exercises' bit as many people stop them once they get walking 'seriously' but some of those muscles have been quite inactive for some time and will still need to catch up with the others.

I definitely think you should reward yourself with a pint of summat lovely – or two :cheers:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    That all sounds like great progress, Ron. I do like the 'still doing exercises' bit as many people stop them once they get walking 'seriously' but some of those muscles have been quite inactive for some time and will still need to catch up with the others.

I definitely think you should reward yourself with a pint of summat lovely – or two :cheers:

Hi sticky
    Thanks for your post,I had already heeded your wise advice since had just come back from W'spoons when I picked up your post...... :)
    Hope you are well.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • stickywicket
    You know what they say, Ron. Great minds etc etc. There's no reason why your daily walk shouldn't be to the pub and back – as long as you don't get carried away while down there :too-hot:
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Sorry Ron I've only just seen this post.

I'd like to wish you well and I'm glad it is all done and dusted and you are in much less pain. I'm looking forward to sorting my 2nd hip out this year and can remember the immediate relief from the first op, although there were difficulties from loss of blood (my first ever transfusion which I was not keen on but had no choice) and initially getting back on my feet.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • prefabkid47
    Hi all
    Have been to see the orthopaedic surgeon today for my 6 week post THR check up (actually now 9 weeks post op!).He was pleased with the surgery outcome and my progress and doesn't want to see me for 4 months.This despite that I now have RA in a couple of bones in left ankle causing some discomfort.

When I saw the xray of my new hip joint could not believe it was mine having seen so many xray pictures of replacements on youtube etc. and remembering the mess my old hip was in.

The recovery process is not always easy and you have to work at it, having done my walking and physio exercises exactly as told.Doing so is for your own benefit.

Will update again at my twelve week step.

Ron
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Ron
    Its always good to hear from you and to read how you are doing, so glad that knee pain has stayed away..the same here from my first THR, like you say you find your own way of walking and exercising...I really do hope the ankle dont cause any probs for a while to come..
    I still find there are ups and down with these hips..more ups than down though :) my second one has been so different from the first, I still cant weight bear,,even the physio doesn't know why, but it will come. the horrible groin pain has gone..
    I found the Xrays fascinating and hard to take in that you are looking at your own hips spike and all... :o:) you carry on improving..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Ron, this is good news indeed! I am so pleased that things are going well and long may that remain the case. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Well done, Ron! You've done the pain and deserve the gain.

Like you, I was amazed when I saw the first x-ray of my knee revision – beautiful smooth, clear lines. I actually asked if it was mine as I couldn't quite believe it.

I think another pint is called for :wink: :cheers:
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    Hi sticky,dreamdaisy and barbara

Many thanks for your posts.

sticky.....Your advice seemed such a good idea that had already made arrangements to meet friends at a pub for lunch...!One of our friends has already had both hips,one knee and one shoulder replaced!

dd.....glad you are back posting.You had 'disappeared' for a while that I was worried about you.

barbara..... so sorry your THR is still giving you pain.At least the groin pain has gone but hope the cause of why you can't weight bear is found and resolved.

Although I'm greatly improved still a little way to go,slight discomfort at times from the hip and leg fatigue as muscles nerves and muscles repair and strengthen.

Ron
  • stickywicket
    sticky.....Your advice seemed such a good idea that had already made arrangements to meet friends at a pub for lunch..

Almost telepathy
    :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    Hi all

It is now 12 weeks post THR op (yes 12 weeks!). Been to see both rheumatologist and physiotherapist this week and both pleased with my progress.
    Physiotherapist advised that I carry on my exercises for another at least 12 weeks,so no let up there.Have been doing these for the first twelve weeks regularly like a good boy!

Mentioned to both about discomfort from my left ankle (the ankle replacement one).Both remarked that my foot was rolling inwards and may contribute to the problem (recent xrays had shown have arthritis in other joints in the foot!).Bought orthotic shoe inserts to hope correct this but went on 2 mile walk before breaking them in!!!
    Suffered!!Am persevering.

Am now walking without sticks,although always carry one with me
    for 'support' even if not used.Much more mobile now than have been for a long time,just hope it continues.

Ron
  • stickywicket
    I hope it continues too, Ron. It certainly sounds good from the new hip perspective but I do hope the foot doesn't decide to have a bite. Exactly what you don't need.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Ron you are doing really well, and so good with the exercises...its nice to feel the strength coming back :)
    Im sorry the other ankle is bothering you its soda law has they say, but hopefully the insoles will help..you keep up the good work..
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Hi sticky and barbara
    Many thanks for your replies,hope you both are well.
    Ron