Hello ...

Options
Sonia50
Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
edited 19. Jul 2016, 07:02 in Say Hello Archive
I am new to the forum so thought I would start by introducing myself. My name is Sonia, I am 51 and live in Derbyshire with my Hubby and two daughters. I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in November 2014 after having joint pain and swelling in my hands. Since then it has escalated and I now have it in my neck and lower spine. I also have Fibromylralgia and Osteopenia.
I am hoping to hear from anyone who has advice on how to manage the condition at work - particularly if like me, you are a Housekeeper. I enjoy my job which is very unique and I am lucky in so many ways, but I am finding certain parts of my work difficult to deal with and am currently signed off with high blood pressure and stress. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom please share - grateful for any ideas on how to move forward.
Thank you
Sonia

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sonia and welcome from me too. 'Pearls of wisdom', eh? If only :wink:

No wonder you're BP is up. The trouble is that we end up in a vicious circle. The arthritis makes us stressed and the stress makes the arthritis worse. You are doing what I imagine is a very demanding job which will only add to the stress.

Your employer has to make some provisions for you but I've been out of the workforce for so long I don't know what. This might help. http://tinyurl.com/npmydas

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis following a DXA scan 3-5 years ago. This year I had another and was pronounced clear of it although the only medication I took was Calceos (calcium and Vit D). The only other change I made was to exclude salt completely from my diet. It might help.

Unfortunately, the arthritis won't go away. Could you work part time?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sonia. I have RA and OA and am also a housekeeper. Are you working full time? I only work part time in a private house. My boss cut my hours a while back as his sons had gone off to uni so there wasn't as much work. I was a bit upset as I now have less money coming in but I'm glad now as it has made things easier for me. I think I am very lucky as I've explained things to my boss and his wife and they are very understanding.

Can you talk to your boss and tell him/her what you can no longer do? I've told my boss I can no longer climb up a ladder to dust. I used to change the bedding but can't manage that now. They've bought a cordless hoover which is much easier to carry upstairs.

Are you able to cut your hours or can you maybe come and go as you please as long as you get things done? That way you can fit in rest periods.

PM me if you want and I'll see if I can help any further.
    Christine