If anyone else.....

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 25. Jul 2016, 09:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
...asks me how I'm enjoying this lovely weather, I shall wring their necks, arthritic hands or not. No, it's not good for my joints. They hate it. So does the rest of me.

After washing and dressing in as few all-cotton garments as possible, I stood in the kitchen, blouse left open for the coolth, fan on, blinds down, muscles like water, joints playing up and a headache to boot. And what did my beloved say? "Isn't it lovely again?" :shock:

You'd think I'd be used to it after 48 years of marriage but when it comes to heat / cold, I'm an eskimo and he's a meerkat. He's just gone for a walk :o I'm thinking I can't face my exercises :too-hot:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've got every sympathy with you, I feel the same. When it's like this, I stay in the house as much as possible and drink lots of water. As a pale-skinned redhead, the sun and I have never got on and the heat just drains me. I think I must have Viking ancestry. :too-hot:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's hideous, it's not the heat so much rather the humidity that floors me. I wish the house was air-conditioned, I might be reduced to driving around in Bea2 for hours at a time because she is . . . . it drains the diesel pretty fast but at least I would be cooler! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    When the temperatures in my son's flat started heading seriously north of 30( got to just under 40 at one stage!) they invested in a portable aircon unit to at least get GD's bedroom to a state where there was some chance of her going to sleep - and thus her parents getting a bit of shuteye. It proved to be surprisingly effective, and as son said, 'hang the leccy bill, we'll worry about that when it arrives!'
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    It's the humidity and stickyness for me too. My friend offered me loan of her baby's paddling pool but I'm afraid I'm slightly larger than the little one. :D I have sympathies with you all and knew you'd understand my unhappiness with the so-called lovely weather.
    :too-hot:
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm officially allergic to humidity! Seriously, I like to see the sun but when it's humid as it has been I just drip. :too-hot: Not a nice thought - sorry if you are eating.

I'm coping better thanks to my weight loss but my joints swell in the heat. Again like SW I get people saying inane things like "I thought your joints would like the heat"! Well, I don't and my joints certainly don't.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    We've had a small thunderstorm - life is more comfortable. :deckchair: DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Are you up north, DD? It's still very humid down near London and I'm not sure if we're due rain tomorrow.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I don't mind the heat, but hate the humidity- I sweat so much my hair is plastered to my head. I never used to have this happen until RA came a'calling.

When OH puts the aircon on in the car he has to do it in short bursts, as if it's on for any length of time my neck & shoulders seize up. We had it on last month, driving through Switzerland & for the next couple of days I could barely move. We have learned!
  • stickywicket
    It's good to know I'm not alone. Well, it's good for me if not for you lot :lol:

Yes, it's the humidity and this morning, with doors and windows open, life is quite pleasant though that could change as it's only 8.30am.

Tez – I've always, during my arthritic years, had a problem with wind and neck / shoulders. In the car I always ensure I have a gilet to put over the shoulder nearest the air con at my side.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    That's interesting, SW, as my neck & shoulders are always vulnerable to the slightest draught. I'm always careful where I sit/stand with regard to open windows etc. I often keep a lightweight towel handy just for one or other shoulders, but thought I'd be OK with the aircon in short bursts. I know now I was wrong.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hi Starburst, I live in Ipswich - last night was fresher but today? Not so much. :| I'm oscillating between the sitting room and kitchen (both have fans) and both are on to provide the illusion of coolth. My legs are somewhat puffy (thanks to the PsA) but my OA is currently taking the backseat. Whoop-de-doo. Happy days.

Bea2 may be air-conditioned but it's not been that effective probably thanks to the heat: it works better in winter. As for Mr DD he is still wearing a fleece of an evening and last night had both the 4.5 tog quilt plus bedspread over him. WHY? :? DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I've also had a heck of a headache with the heat and my feet have swollen! My husband kept wanting us to sit outside but I demanded he put the fan in the lounge to keep me cool. My husband being the clever sausage he is, made two window vents one for his room and one for mine. They have a lattice pattern you have the window fully open and they go up on the window and have clips to keep them in place and the cats can't climb out of the window. I'm so pleased it rained last night and it's a lot cooler today! But it's more than likely we will see the heat again! :sunny:
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    OH SW, I am so on your side. I loathe the heat and humidity. It makes me hurt even more than normal.

Next door thinks it is amusing that I get in such a lather. He best mind, or there will be words at some point if I am that way out.

If we could, we would move to the highlands of Scotland, in all seriousness. Should the chance arrive, we will.

Autumn, winter and spring, I love. It seems to get worse year on year.

We have an air conditioner in the lounge, thank the Lord. Even with that going, the other day it was struggling to keep the place cool. I love being in the car, only trouble is, you have to get out and it is like opening the oven.

Roll on Autumn. Take care XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    bubbles wrote:
    If we could, we would move to the highlands of Scotland, in all seriousness.

We're moving to the Scottish Borders, in time for next summer :D
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles wrote:
    If we could, we would move to the highlands of Scotland, in all seriousness.

We're moving to the Scottish Borders, in time for next summer :D

wow, can we come on permanent pocket duties, I will bake scones :)

We want to live on Sky, overlooking the Culin Mountains, bliss.
  • stickywicket
    bubbles wrote:

How could I possible refuse such an offer? Yes please :D
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles wrote:

How could I possible refuse such an offer? Yes please :D

A million thank you's XX I will pack.................. :splash:
  • stickywicket
    Whoa! Whoa!

We haven't gone ourselves yet :lol:
    Steven Wright