When work is pleasure

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 25. Jul 2016, 13:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
It was Tattoo City here this morning. Four workmen arrived on the dot at 8am to replace our garden fence which had been totally wrecked when we put up a 'Remain' poster for the referendum.

They worked hard all morning then three went on to another job leaving the other to finish off. It must have been a fiendishly difficult line as the garden line bows but the end product is a thing of real beauty.

The fourth chap finished around 3.30 and had worked continuously since 8am. When I brought him a third mug of tea, around 2.00pm I offered a sandwich but he refused. “I'm OK, love, I've had a banana. But thank you very much.” he then went on to extol the joys of fencing, how long he'd been doing it and how much he loved his work.

And it shows. A neighbour has already been round admiring it. I keep going out to look at it myself.

I see they have a section on their website for testimonials. I shall add to that tomorrow. Their conscientious attitude and love of their work are as beautiful as their fence.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It is refreshing to meet someone who enjoys their work and who find contentment in doing it well, isn't it? When No.10 was painted inside the two men who did it were cut from similar cloth to your fencer - they loved every aspect of their work, even the preparation (Mr DD's idea of prep was running a duster over the wall to be done and then painting said wall as fast as possible).

I am pleased you are pleased with your new fence - are you going to hide it with plants? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Being happy in one's work is certainly a good state of affairs. Two visitors yesterday stopped to chat to me and commented that although all the staff were obviously busy we all seemed happy, and that made for a good atmosphere for visitors.
    It's always nice to receive compliments but I was also reminded of the fact that feeling positive helps deal with things not going to plan. That day's tally included 2 blocked toilets, irresponsible parents(in one case a toddler allowed to run towards a moving vehicle), a burst first floor water pipe necessitating re-arrangement of booked rooms and holiday activities, a member of staff leaving for a hospital appointment and cover not having been put in place(yours truly stepped in and stayed beyond original shift) among other things....
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    They have to be happy in there work to do a good job..how nice that you are so pleased with it..if Mig was here she would want to know if they had there shirts off showing off these tattoos..but I'm not Mig.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Barbara, I hope mig doesn't see this because I know she's had a few breathing problems recently and their head honcho would have just done for her completely :lol: Tall, muscular, late 30s / early 40s, full head of black hair a tight black singlet and lovely manners. No lycra but you can't have everything. Unfortunately :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    :too-hot: gasp gasp gasp
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Mig, is the heat affecting you or is it the effect of your lusty thoughts? (says DD as she energetically elbows Mig out of the way, suddenly realising that a fence down the drive could do with some gorgeous male attention . . . . . ) :D
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Mig, it's a shame you weren't with us in the French Alps three weeks ago - there was a party of 10 cyclists staying at our hotel : all coming down to breakfast in Lycra.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Blinking Eck Theresak too late telling me now,the only Lycra I've seen in Notts was in shop windows. :x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    mig wrote:
    Blinking Eck Theresak too late telling me now,the only Lycra I've seen in Notts was in shop windows. :x

oh Mig this made me laugh I presume the shop window had not hunky males in the lycra :lol::lol::lol:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • dreamdaisy
    As some of you may know I have a garden to maintain, not a big one but, in terms of its history and arrangement, a rather tricky one to deal with when one has faulty joints.

I have a friend who comes round every six months or so to do a good clearing (and she loves it) but today found a neighbour to help whose idea of a good time is clearing weed roots between patio slabs with a screwdriver. Yup, that pleases her and gives great satisfaction to both of us. I loved my work when I could do it and appreciate the efforts of those who find such pleasure in doing work I utterly dislike: she can't do what I did and I can't do what she does but we both understand job satisfaction. DD
  • stickywicket
    Amen to that!

My younger son used to find ironing therapeutic :o as a teenager but had a bad habit of starting his washing going just as I was going to bed then draping it round the house. So I'd do his washing at a reasonable time then hang it out and he did my ironing. Good while it lasted.
    Steven Wright