Vaccuum cleaners

Options
cannylass
cannylass Member Posts: 2
edited 23. Jul 2016, 19:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone got any tips on the best vacuum cleaner if you have arthritis in both hands. Most of them are very heavy and cumbersome!

Thanks, cannylass

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello cannylass

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Cannylass, you are talking to a cordless vac convert - and evangelist :lol: My hands are rubbish. My RA started there 55 years ago. I've had a Dyson for some time but a fellow forum member was extolling the virtues of her cordless so I took the plunge - after vaccing the shop floor for them :lol:

My Bosch Athlet is light, very manoeuvreable, has 3 settings and, standing and charging as it does behind a door that is rarely closed (so no-one can see it) it is always ready to go with no lifting out of cupboards or plugging in and out and no cord to trip over. The best thing of all is that my husband has taken to it :o and even grabs it spontaneously to deal with crumbs, the hallway etc.

Other makes and models are, of course, available. I have one problem with mine and that is that its high manoeuvreability, combined with my own high lack of same :wink: means that it occasionally takes its own route but that's soon remedied. If I needed another I wouldn't hesitate to get another of these.

By the way, it's an upright but has a box of attachments.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah yes, vacuum cleaners, necessary things but they can be heavy and clumsy (much like me). I was a great Dyson fan but as time went on they and me were continually falling out so, when we moved, I bought a much lighter Vax corded but even that proved to be too challenging plug-wise. It dawned on me that cordless was the way to go.

I thought about a G**** (I'm sure you know the one, the grey and green effort) but couldn't find one to try and was unwilling to spend that much money on a speculative buy. I went to John Lewis where they had a selection of cordless (but not the G), tried them and bought a B**** like Sticky's. (I rejected the Dyson versions due to their short run-time.) It's superb for the floors but not so easy for other areas so I bought a G**** hand-held to deal with skirting boards, lamp shades, upholstery etc. I wouldn't say that cleaning is now a joy but is a darn sight easier and quicker. I bought a much cheaper cordless for the upper floor and it's rubbish: you get what you pay for.

I strongly recommend that you try before you buy and buy the best you can afford: the summer sales are about and there may be deals to be done. Happy vacuuming! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    One other solution might be a robotic cleaner.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh slosh I have been looking at these..just one stands out has being the best but its very pricey..around £700 ..I think it will be a cordless for me so will do my homework..good luck cannylass..
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    If you currently use an upright you could also consider using a cylinder model instead so that you're not pushing the motor plus vac around. I have never got on with uprights due to back problems and the arrival(and cheapness) of small bagless cylinder models has been very useful. I now have dodgy hands as well as back but find that pushing the hose and head around is OK. Making sure that whatever type you use is working efficiently will also help matters - emptying them in good time to ensure good suction, making sure there isn't a furball in the tube(used to happen a lot when my daughter was around due to her thick fine hair which she combed rather than brushed...),the right head for the floor surface etc, so that it doesn't take multiple passes to do the job.
    If you have hard floors a cloth type mop(used dry) may be useful for everyday dealing with the dust, rather than using a vac each time.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    I can second the Bosch Athlet, the 22.5 volt one, it is amazing, even I can use it for a while. OH does get the big Va* mach air Pet out about twice a week, but the rest of the time the athlet is just amazing in what it picks up, right down to the finest grit that lurks in carpets. We have three cats, two with long hair and it gets it all up.
    Shop around, the prices vary if you are going to get one. XX aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).