Salazopyrin Tablets 500mg

Melanie17
Melanie17 Member Posts: 67
edited 6. Aug 2016, 16:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
After being intolerant to Methotrexate,I have newly been prescribed with sulfasalazine.The tablets are Salazopyrin,round,yellow,and scored in the middle(Not the slow release ones)

I am awful at swallowing tablets.It's a huge problem.Would anyone know if it's safe to crush,or better still,dissolve these tablets in water.As there is a score mark in the middle of the tablet,it's clear that it's O.K to break them in half and take them.

I have looked all over the internet,and cannot find the answer.

Many thanks.

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Melanie -
    I found this for you

3. How to take Salazopyrin Tablets
    The tablets should be taken with a glass of water and should be swallowed whole. Do not
    crush or chew the tablets.
    Unless your doctor has told you otherwise, the usual doses for the following conditions
    are:

It is difficult for some people. Try popping tab in, big mouth of water, tip head back as far as, then swallow. We used to advise patients to do that years ago and it seemed to work. If not, then take it when you are eating, most pills can be taken with food, as in when you are going to swallow what you are eating, pop pill in, pretend it is not there and hopefully it will go down with the food.
    Hope that helps XXX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Good Morning Melanie,

I am sorry you are struggling with the tablets - many people have this problem - you are really not alone :(

If you find you really can't take them I would enquire as to whether it is available in a liquid form. I have a feeling it is.

Best of luck with it.

Moderator Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It looks here as if salazopyrin doesn't come in liquid form but is available as a suppository. http://tinyurl.com/hmoa96r but your pharmacist would be the best person to ask about this.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Melanie
    Sorry I cant help, but see the other have found you lots of information..I do hope you get some relief from it...
    Love
    Barbara
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Managed to find this thread:

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/living-with-arthritis-forum-f8/sulfasalazine-t36658.html

See the post by Mumof1, 18th January 2013, mentioning having sulfa in liquid form. I expect you would need to request it though.

Best of luck

Moderator Ellen
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Some drugs are available in different forms in other countries, but won't necessarily be available here, for various reasons(not all of them good ones from a patient's perspective I suspect!). I saw this come up recently with respect to osteoporosis drugs. It would be worth discussing with the pharmacist if there are alternatives - but if they exist you may have to argue to get them - cost(the main consideration), UK view of efficacy, availability/ease of supply, being 'on the list' - will all be reasons for not prescribing an alternative version.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My tablets (Sulazine) are oval in shape, a little bulky maybe but more 'user friendly'; they're manufactured by Genesis Pharmaceuticals. I've never had round ones. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Melanie17
    Many thanks for your replies which have been really helpful.I am trying to persevere with the tablets,but it's nice to know that Salazopyrin is available in liquid form.My rheumy nurse knows that I have a problem swallowing pills,as I even struggled with the tiny Methotrexate tablets.These tiny tablets just got stuck at the back of my throat and that wasn't at all good,being aware that they are pretty toxic!It's a really annoying problem,especially as I used to swallow tablets normally,until a life threatening incident a fair few years ago.Aidan-thanks for your suggestion of popping them in with food.I sit with my dinner,watching T.V for distraction,and include the tablets in my dinner.This is working quite well.I would like to get over this phobia,as it must be possible to get over it.But,thanks to your suggestions,I am just about coping.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This probably sounds ridiculous but have you ever tried drinking from a Spanish porron or bota? They are both drinking vessels, one with a long spout, the other a leather pouch which is squeezed. Because they are communal the vessels don't actually touch the mouth. So one has to learn how to put the head right back and swallow without closing the mouth. It is important to also open the throat wide. Mine is narrow now due to arthritis and oesophageal problems but I remember drinking from botas and porrons and so, with difficult pills, I do consciously open my throat as wide as possible and it does help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Hi Melanie, I have problems swallowing due to restricted throat access after 3 spinal surgeries and find thicker liquids like smoothies and milkshakes are the best to help this problem. Ice cream too! Though probably not for breakfast.Wishing you well with the new drug, hope you get on OK and it really helps you. Xx
  • Melanie17
    Mermaid,thanks for your brilliant suggestion.I will try it.Thanks to Aidan's clever suggestion,I am mixing the tablets(broken)with food,and that certainly has eased up the problem.I have a smoothie maker,and I could do with an excuse to use it again,so I will try taking the tablets with a smoothie.I am quite annoyed with myself with this problem,'cos in my case,it's psychological based on a life threatening problem with my throat years ago.The problem passed,but the trauma didn't!Thanks again,so much.

Stickywicket.Yes,I have drunk from a bota,many moons ago,and I will also give that one a try.Thanks again.

Thanks to you forumites,I am getting these tablets down,one way or another!Er...let's hope they work :hammock:
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Hi Melanie,
    Don't be annoyed with yourself, a life threatening problem with your throat must have been terrifying and no wonder you have issues swallowing. Many people have this problem without any history of trauma. Hope you find the ideal solution for you.
    Take care x