Thumbs Up!

Sparky67
Sparky67 Member Posts: 3
edited 26. Jul 2016, 05:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all.

I have just joined the group after, like many people whose posts I have read so far, suffering from arthritis in my lower thumb joints in both hands for a few years. I have used small hand-tools all my working life, and in my hobby at home, now I avoid using a pair of pliers or wire cutters for any period of time...

There is one thing which I have found really helpful which I wanted to share - and that's wearing gloves in bed. Sounds strange I know, but I have found the extra heat in the joints over the last couple of months has helped enormously. I did leave them off for a week or so, the previous pain returned, and when I started wearing them again it eased again. Not very scientific, but it certainly works for me. 40gm Thinsulate gloves - a pound a pair on the local market. Well worth trying if you have the same problem.
Cheers
MS

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good Morning Sparky67,

A very warm welcome from the Moderation Team :) Any problems you have using the boards do send us a PM.

Sorry to hear about your thumbs. I wondered whether you were an electrician with your username and the use of small hand-tools...?

Thank you for passing on your 'tip' regarding the use of gloves at night I am pleased it has helped you and you're right others may also find them useful.

Best wishes

Moderator Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What a kind and thoughtful first post! You might like to copy it onto our 'Ideas for making life easier' thread above. I hope others will find it useful.

Repetitive actions can be damaging so I think you are wise to only use your pliers etc for short periods of time. You might also find some hand exercises useful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thankyou Sparky67 for taking the time to post this,
    I have OA in my thumbs and one is quite bad..so I will certainly give this ago.. :)
    Love
    Barbara