Blue Bage refusal

nonaproxin
nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
edited 20. Aug 2016, 12:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Was refused Blue badge from local authority last year as I don't get the higher rate DLA ...I have just found out that the Government warned local authorities against refusing on these grounds way back in 2009..I have severe arthritis (OA) in both feet ..and pins in place...Also now have hammer toe..And it's getting worse...I am going to ask my GP if she can assist..Any advice or help much appreciated..I need this badge as I am getting worse...I have been parking in disabled bays..And have had a few run ins with jobs worth security people..who can clearly see I am disabled....Whats wrong with this country ...It seems that all the wrong people get all the right help...Eddy

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was awarded my blue badge as a discretionary one by my LA. I had to fill in a form with my medical evidence and then had an assessment of my walking ability and how far I could walk by an Occupational Therapist. I did this before applying for PIP. However, although I use crutches or a rollator to walk I never used disabled bays until I got my badge.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    That's terrible Eddy, for sure get your GP involved. I was declined, a long time back, re applied with further information from the GP and I was awarded my blue badge. As for the parking people, especially in supermarkets, they cannot enforce any kind of penalty. Only the Police or Council, can enforce a parking penalty, on a public highway.
    I am sure you will be ok with another letter of support.
    XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't quite follow this. When you applied for a Blue Badge you yourself would have had to fill in the section of the form which applied to you.

Having higher rate mobility allowance is not the only criteria for being awarded a blue badge though it is one of the 'automatic' ones which, as I recall, come into Section A of the form. Section B deals with other criteria which are not automatic and require an assessment. CAB explains the various criteria here http://tinyurl.com/jtjgszz and you can check your eligibility and apply online here https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge .

I have to confess, as someone who has sometimes had to return home rather than do whatever I had set out for simply because all disabled bays were full (sometimes with cars not displaying a blue badge) I'm actually on the side of the 'jobsworths' here and only wish there were more of them.

In fact, I have so much respect for the scheme and empathy with other badge holders and their frustrations that. on the very rare occasions when I have not had my badge in the car (having removed it for eg the car's service), I will not use a BB bay even if, again, it means returning home.

Just click on the second URL above and fill in the form.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am sorry that you have not been awarded a badge - in future when I see a non-badged car in a designated space I will assume that the person who drives it is in similar straits to me rather than being someone who is just 'popping in' to the shop / bank / post office etc. (In my experience they are always able-bodied and just popping in.)

I'm one of those people who, if for some reason her BB is not in the car, will go home to fetch it. I need the wider space so I can have easier access to my crutches / rollator but hey, who cares about such petty detail? What I don't grasp is parent and child parking (which often outnumbers the disabled spaces).

The BB is a good idea but it is flawed because it's not purely awarded on mobility issues. I might lose my BB when I am transferred to PIP but no bother - I have a master plan to cover that eventuality. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nonaproxin
    I don't quite follow this. When you applied for a Blue Badge you yourself would have had to fill in the section of the form which applied to you.

Having higher rate mobility allowance is not the only criteria for being awarded a blue badge though it is one of the 'automatic' ones which, as I recall, come into Section A of the form. Section B deals with other criteria which are not automatic and require an assessment. CAB explains the various criteria here http://tinyurl.com/jtjgszz and you can check your eligibility and apply online here https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge .

I have to confess, as someone who has sometimes had to return home rather than do whatever I had set out for simply because all disabled bays were full (sometimes with cars not displaying a blue badge) I'm actually on the side of the 'jobsworths' here and only wish there were more of them.

In fact, I have so much respect for the scheme and empathy with other badge holders and their frustrations that. on the very rare occasions when I have not had my badge in the car (having removed it for eg the car's service), I will not use a BB bay even if, again, it means returning home.

Just click on the second URL above and fill in the form.
    I can only tell you what they told me...That I was refused owing to me not getting higher rate DLA....I know it's a very thorny issue..people using disabled bay without having a Badge...And I can fully understand how it's extremely maddening to see cars parked without a Badge on display...But as I have said ....I only need to be watched trying to get in and out..And walking..To have any observer realise that I am disabled....My pain is as real as anyones..And I am amazed to see people with Badges leap from there vehicle and sprint off to the shop...Whilst thinking the disabled parking idea is a great idea...It is constantly abused by able bodied people who appear to have Blue badges..Whilst I have been refused..Now that is even more maddening....Thanks for you help....Eddy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As I said it's granted for a range of health conditions including those that do not affect mobility - this is its essential 'flaw'. I suppose it doesn't really matter in supermarket car parks etc. when those without validation park in designated spaces (as the rules of the highway don't apply and no-one checks anyway) but it does make a nonsense of the system. Unlike you, however, I am able to park on single and double yellow lines (following the rules of course) and dedicated council-supplied disabled bays - now that is when it really comes in handy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Here's how it works for me, Eddy.

When my BB is due for renewal I'm sent another application form. I fill in the relevant section (for me, this is the first one, for those on higher rate mobility) then return it with proof of my continuing entitlement to higher rate mobility, a recent photo and the fee.

If I was a first time applicant without higher rate mobility allowance, I'd get the same form and have to fill in a different section.

This is why I don't understand how you could be refused on the grounds of not having higher rate mobility when, presumably, the section you filled in was NOT for those on higher rate mobility.

Did you fill in the wrong section? If so, read the two websites I gave you previously, re-apply and explain and I hope you'll have more success this time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    My assessment was a mobility one to see if I could walk a set distance, it also involved an assessment of how I managed stairs and as a bonus I got some advice on simple adjustments I could make around the house.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    You do not need to be claiming any benefits to get a blue badge.

I don't get benefits except the badge itself which is a blessing.

I never have had benefits and I'm now on my 3rd badge.
    The first one {about 7 years ago} was reasonably easy to get.
    Since that they have tightened up on all blue badges and I think all benefits.

I have OA in lower spine, neck, ankle and 2 hip replacements
    I'm now waiting for the results of MRI's on both knees. They seem to want to join the party
    I have kypho scoliosis, osteoporosis....I'll stop there :lol:
    Anyway, no benefits but my blue badge so you don't need benefits never mind higher rate

LoveHileena
  • nonaproxin
    Here's how it works for me, Eddy.

When my BB is due for renewal I'm sent another application form. I fill in the relevant section (for me, this is the first one, for those on higher rate mobility) then return it with proof of my continuing entitlement to higher rate mobility, a recent photo and the fee.

If I was a first time applicant without higher rate mobility allowance, I'd get the same form and have to fill in a different section.

This is why I don't understand how you could be refused on the grounds of not having higher rate mobility when, presumably, the section you filled in was NOT for those on higher rate mobility.

Did you fill in the wrong section? If so, read the two websites I gave you previously, re-apply and explain and I hope you'll have more success this time.
    ..I could have filled in the wrong section..I can't remember..But the decision was based on me not having higher rate DLA...I will be re-applying..So will let you know how I get on..Thanks for the advice and help to all who responded.
  • ScottiePam
    ScottiePam Member Posts: 32
    Hello Folks,
    Reading this with interest, as in 2013 I was refused my BB. You may have seen my entries on this forum around then - Blue Badge Blues. At that time I was still a volunteer with ACS.
    I refused to "give in" as many of my associates did. After the first refusal, I garnered all the info I could from websites, AC staff, local government and others in the same "boat". I immediately challenged the local council and was re-assessed by a council OT. Same result - but, however, you can ask for a copy of their report. It had to be seen to be believed. Six variations on the distance I walked, misquotes, etc. I then re-applied and "girded my loins" ready for a second round. Lo and behold, two weeks later, the badge popped through the letterbox. Does this tell you a story? Never give up!
    I am due for renewal next May, and have started preparing my application and gathering info yet again. Maybe I'll get through first time??
  • nonaproxin
    ScottiePam wrote:
    Hello Folks,
    Reading this with interest, as in 2013 I was refused my BB. You may have seen my entries on this forum around then - Blue Badge Blues. At that time I was still a volunteer with ACS.
    I refused to "give in" as many of my associates did. After the first refusal, I garnered all the info I could from websites, AC staff, local government and others in the same "boat". I immediately challenged the local council and was re-assessed by a council OT. Same result - but, however, you can ask for a copy of their report. It had to be seen to be believed. Six variations on the distance I walked, misquotes, etc. I then re-applied and "girded my loins" ready for a second round. Lo and behold, two weeks later, the badge popped through the letterbox. Does this tell you a story? Never give up!
    I am due for renewal next May, and have started preparing my application and gathering info yet again. Maybe I'll get through first time??
    ...Good for you...I think that a lot of this goes on....misquotes etc...They probably work on the theory that hardly anyone will "challenge" them on the decision....