Second bad flare in 4 weeks

valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 2. Aug 2016, 10:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening all
Just woke up again ! Very painful hands, wrists, fingers, ankles and feet which woke me at 2 am. I was ok when I went to bed. Since my visit to consultant that I wrote about in other thread he has put me back on Hyroxy starting with 1 a day and from today 2 a day....hope night nausea does not return...although nothing proved it was that. Seems it's all trial and error ! FA increased to 5 mg a week. I am taking the anti sickness tbs as well. But the pain today has not been touched by cocodomol. Go took me off Naproxen as they thought this was the nausea culprit but ar least I knew if I took one the pain can be managed. Coco or para as you say only masks he pain. I am going to phone GPs Monday to see if there is another pain tab if not I may ask to take Naproxen. What do you all take for pain when a flare comes ? Trouble is I have been off hydroxy for 6 weeks and it now needs to get back in sy system. Really sorry for spoiling anyone's lovely day suppose I am feeling sorry for myself laying on bed suppounded by newspapers and mags X thanks for reading and any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received and put to the test .

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry to hear things are still bad, valde, though I'd regard it as a continuation of the previous flare rather than a new one. The hydroxy will still be getting into your system. I do hope it doesn't cause nausea but I think you had established that it was the NDAIDS doing that rather than DMARDS.

My view is that, when a flare comes, it takes some time to go. For me, it always means that the current DMARDS aren't working properly and, once they're sorted, the flare goes. That will be why you are being put on etanercept / enbrel. The rest is just pain relief and will only do so much. I hope your GP can help with some different pain relief but, in your shoes, I certainly wouldn't want more NSAIDS.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I agree with Sticky, the flare never really went and this is why your rheumatologist is increasing the level of your treatment; your arthritis is not under control so it needs the stronger medication to bring it to heel. In my experience a flare can last for months and the only thing we can do is live with (and ignore) it as best we can.

Any form of pain relief dulls temporarily rather than removes, sad but true. What strength cocos are you taking? Mine are the 30/500, they do enough to enable me to get on with things but no more than that. I take them daily to make life tolerable, I regard them as a necessary part of my drug regimen. This is undoubtedly a miserable time for you (I remember my times like this well) and I hope that things soon settle down. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    Thanks so much for replying. What other pain killers are there that are not Nsiads? Sticky. I am taking coco 8/500 DD. As I have been off hydroxy for a number of weeks maybe I need to allow it time to get back in my system....sorry I am not a patient person and I am still learning about RA after 2 years. Obviously lots to learn so I am so grateful for this forum.
  • dreamdaisy
    Co-codamol is a combination of codeine and paracetamol and comes in varying strengths: yours is the smallest, your GP is the one to advise you about increasing it. There are a number of pain relief solutions and the secret is not to go too high too fast otherwise your options later become somewhat limited. Are you taking it regularly because that can make a difference to its effectiveness - a little and often is far better than a lot every now and again.

I never found any of my NSAIDs any good at reducing pain levels but others find they can help: again taking them regularly is the sensible thing with our conditions. My husband has the occasional bout of gout and between three to five days of naproxen sorts that for him. DD
  • stickywicket
    I do think the hydroxy will build up again soon though maybe not as soon as you'd like.

NSAIDS are anti-inflammatories – ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac etc. They deal with inflammation and reduce pain that way but, if they're going to make you nauseous.....

There are a lot of 'painkillers' that are not anti-inflammatories, your cocodamol being one of them.

I hope your appointment helps.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Valde, we're a few days on now, have you been able to see your GP and if so what did he have to say? I hope you are feeling better / brighter in yourself. DD
  • valde
    Good evening and thank you so much for your concern. I have spoken with my GP and he agreed that the hydroxy will get back into my system and it is as the inflammation has been a lot better this week and since being back on it the nausea at night is only very very slight sometimes not at all.Also he said if possible manage any pain with paracetamol or cocodomol as naproxen could be too strong for me.So far this week I have not had to take coco. I am to ring if I need stronger pain killers but am hoping I can manage as I am as the hydroxy seems to be helping. Bbeing off of it for almost 8 weeks did me no favours. I feel better now the pain has eased but tired. I have an appointment for medication review with GP next week and consultant 25 August. Thanks again for thinking of me X hope you all have a peaceful and restful night.
  • stickywicket
    Oh that is good news, valde, and thanks for sharing it. I guess, in the end, the solution was quite simple but getting there was a very roundabout route. I hope things continue to improve.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm sorry I haven't replied before now, we had a busy weekend and I am still recovering.

It's tricky for us (and our GPs) when we react so differently to the same medications. I know from reading on here that one man's poison is another's Holy Grail and we will never know what's what until we try. I remember when I began humira my consultant promising that I would be able to stop using my crutches and taking cocos. That may well have been her experience with other patients, I'm so pleased I bucked that trend! :|

It's good that you are doing better and I hope it lasts. I suspect we all feel tired on a constant basis (I reckon it's part-and-parcel of an auto-immune arthritis) but on some days I feel less tired than others which is always a positive. Yeah, right! :wink: DD
  • valde
    Thanks so much to all for your support. I do feel better now I am not in a flare but I am sure they will come again but at least I will not take naproxen as hooefully coco and senacot will sort me out. I am going away mid month so am armed with all my med. just need to stop dropping off for an afternoon nap ! You are right DD some meds do not work for all that is why I like this forum to gain ideas, knowledge, experiences from others.. Hope you all have good day even though it's raining cats and dogs in my area. Xx