Hello new and seeking advice

Options
Afcblady
Afcblady Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Aug 2016, 14:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hi just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee. had an injection 3 days ago but just got up this evening and in a lot of pain. Know i need to lose weight but wondered if anyone else had any advice on managing the pain?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello afclady

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello afcblady and welcome to the forum.

Steroid injections are a bit hit and miss in that they work beautifully (though temporarily) for some and not at all for others. I'm sorry if you fall into the latter category.

We had a thread up on here a few weeks ago about how we managed pain and by far the most popular method was distraction. This can take many forms depending on what one is interested in but definitely not thinking about the pain does help a lot.

Other ways of managing the pain are exercise (swimming and cycling are good though other forms are available), maybe intermittent use of a knee support (but not for long because the muscles will weaken and we require strong muscles to support the joint and lessen the pain) and, of course, all the other methods mentioned here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/coping-with-pain

If you've any other questions just put them to us. It's a bit quiet on here at weekends but I'm sure you'll find sympathy and empathy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have PsA and OA in both knees and have never found the aspiration and steroid injection of any use whatsoever, the only one that was effective was into my right ankle for - yup - OA. Pain is a tricky thing, it's very subjective and personal, one man's mild twinge is another's extreme agony.

I take four 30/500 co-codamols per day, they take off enough of an edge so I can get on with things, I prefer to keep it to an absolute minimum so that I have room to manoeuvre if things worsen (which they do). I used to take tramadol and oromorph but soon realised that they took me away from the pain rather than vice-versa, that the pain was never going to go so determined it would be better for me to learn to live with it rather than denying it. I am also a great believer in distraction so reading, doing puzzles (of any kind) drawing and watching telly is always helpful. I am sure that over time you will develop your own strategies and, if you can, lose weight sooner rather than later: I once lost three stone but the pain remained because the joint damage was already done. How long have you been having trouble with your knee? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Afcblady
    I just want to welcome you to the forum, there is lots of info if you do a search on knee OA..the search button is in blue at the top of the forum ..sorry Im not much help but I have it in most place but my knees are not to bad at the min...thank goodness
    Love
    Barbara