ESA

Popsmith1874
Popsmith1874 Member Posts: 29
Well folks today I've applied forESA both income and contributions based as that's me officially medically retired and after being on the phone for 30 mins I eventually got someone who was in Belfast and it was an ordeal but the guy was ok so we will see what happens next although he did say that I would have to go to an assessment in Clydebank which is 2 hous away from where I stay so that will be another stressful day but not going to let it bother me at moment :too-hot:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good luck, Popsmith :cheers:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Popsmith, good to meet you.
    I do hope things go favourably, in the minefield of the DWP. I thought there was a travelling limit of up to 90 minutes, even less if someone is disabled. This might be worth a read from the CAB.
    Mod Sharon is right, please keep everyone posted. Let's hope your experiences of ESA are positive.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/

When I was medically retired from nursing, it was the DWP who said to me "you can claim for (what was then Incapacity Benefit) " I had no idea I could, so I was most grateful to the lady from the DWP who sorted it all out.

Take care XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Popsmith1874
    bubbles wrote:
    Hi Popsmith, good to meet you.
    I do hope things go favourably, in the minefield of the DWP. I thought there was a travelling limit of up to 90 minutes, even less if someone is disabled. This might be worth a read from the CAB.
    Mod Sharon is right, please keep everyone posted. Let's hope your experiences of ESA are positive.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/

When I was medically retired from nursing, it was the DWP who said to me "you can claim for (what was then Incapacity Benefit) " I had no idea I could, so I was most grateful to the lady from the DWP who sorted it all out.

Take care XX Aidan
  • Popsmith1874
    Well folks thats the esa form filled in and it took me 3 days to fill it in i had to do a bit at a time because i was exhausted trying to concentrate with the form [i would call it a book] and by the time i had finnished i was exhausted but thats it done so we will see what comes next :too-hot:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Brilliant well done, keep us updated on how it all goes
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • bubbles
    well done - I along with my OH am wading through the same forms - even after all these years of being on ESA already, I now have to fill it all in again.
    There are papers all over the place and my Consultant will be fuming that the DWP won't leave people who are disabled, alone. XX Aidan
  • Positive
    Positive Member Posts: 6
    I too am amazed that after being put in the support group for ESA, I am now being assessed again only a year later. My Doctor cannot believe it and once again the stress of it all is back :(
  • Popsmith1874
    Well I got my first payment but I only sent the form back today and if I have to go for a medical its 2 hours away unbelieveable but I'm not worrying about it as I'm not too bad at the moment and these people are not going to drag me down hope everyone's had a pain free day :swim-shark:
  • bubbles
    Well I got my first payment but I only sent the form back today and if I have to go for a medical its 2 hours away unbelieveable but I'm not worrying about it as I'm not too bad at the moment and these people are not going to drag me down hope everyone's had a pain free day :swim-shark:

you are quite right popsmith, we will not let them drag us down, not one bit. I have had more hoops to go through than a performing Poodle over the years and still they question, again and again. C'est la vie.
    Two hours is a long way to expect you to travel. From your location, I guess the necessary centres are a fair distance apart. ( I loved Oban and all the surrounding area, after many happy times in Scotland). We would be off to the Isle of Sky, in a heartbeat, one day maybe. I digress
  • bubbles
    Just an update on ESA. I managed to pluck up the courage to call them and see if they had received my forms, safely (there seems to be a lot that go missing). They said yes, a decision has been made, you are to remain in the support group for at least the next three years. Phew, what a relief. Thank goodness one hurdle is done. Now, just the PIP to go through :roll: :roll: XX Aidan
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    There may be a glimmer of hope on the horizon for some with the announcement that repeat ESA testing for some conditions that are known to be lifelong and progressive is to be withdrawn.
    The devil will be in the detail as to which conditions are included and it will all take time, but simply acknowledging that there is a problem that needs addressing is a start.