Hi new memeber

Clarky69
Clarky69 Member Posts: 9
edited 25. Aug 2016, 07:38 in Say Hello Archive
Just had first injection to wrist yesterday my consultant or gp doesn't really give me much info on my condition just said it was arthritis and would give me injection in hospital I am an electrician and can't afford not to work can any body recommend supports for wrist or pain killers or alternative treatments
Thanks
Dave Clark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Clarky69 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Mod John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there and welcome from me too.

It sounds as if you have osteoarthritis. The steroid jab will, with luck, keep it quieter for several weeks though they don't work for everyone.

I can see your dilemma with work. It must be difficult. There are pills and potions that we can take to help but, at the end of the day, the arthritis will not go away. Exercises may help as they strengthen the muscles supporting the joint and, especially if you are using a splint, that will be good. Splints have a useful but limited role. They support the joint but encourage muscle wastage and we need strong muscles. Wrist splints can also be quite difficult to work with as they restrict movement.

I think your best bet would be to ask your GP to refer you to a physio who could advise on both splints and exercises. However, you can buy a good neoprene support from eg Amazon or any decent pharmacy.

Here is some info on OA and on exercises https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/types-of-arthritis/62-o-osteoarthritis
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/218-exercise-and-arthritis

As for alternative treatments - they are probably fir the 'worried well'. I'd save my money. (A healthy diet would help, though, as does not smoking.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Richmcfinn
    Richmcfinn Member Posts: 17
    Hi Dave, yeah the wrist arthritis is a bad one to have in your trade.

Hopefully your steroid jab(s) will sort it for you (I think youre allowed up to three in a year) -they work well for some people.

Dunno if you have it in both wrists or just the one? If its just the one then I would do everything you possibly can with your good hand, in order to rest the bad wrist in between jobs that need both hands. Its possible to learn to do lots of new things with the hand you are not used to using if you keep practicing.

In terms of drugs then theres the Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like naproxen, Ibuprofen etc which have to be taken regularly to really get the inflammation down. These are ok if you have no digestion problems as they irritate your stomach lining.

In the 'clinically-unproven-but-work-for-some-people' category are Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM. You can get pills which are a mixture of the three or take em separately. My physio said to take them for a month and see if they work, because if they are going to work at all then you will know by then. For me Id say they made things about 1/4 better.

Hopefully you have just over worked a wrist that's not too badly arthritic and over the next couple of months it will become less painful again.

Good luck with it
    -Richard
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Dave

You've had some good replies to your query but thought I'd add another link to help both you and Richard :D

The AC web site has a specific article on Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist - https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist

Hope this is useful to both of you :D

Best wishes
    Bryn
  • Clarky69
    Richmcfinn wrote:

Hopefully your steroid jab(s) will sort it for you (I think youre allowed up to three in a year) -they work well for some people.

Dunno if you have it in both wrists or just the one? If its just the one then I would do everything you possibly can with your good hand, in order to rest the bad wrist in between jobs that need both hands. Its possible to learn to do lots of new things with the hand you are not used to using if you keep practicing.

In terms of drugs then theres the Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like naproxen, Ibuprofen etc which have to be taken regularly to really get the inflammation down. These are ok if you have no digestion problems as they irritate your stomach lining.

In the 'clinically-unproven-but-work-for-some-people' category are Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM. You can get pills which are a mixture of the three or take em separately. My physio said to take them for a month and see if they work, because if they are going to work at all then you will know by then. For me Id say they made things about 1/4 better.

Hopefully you have just over worked a wrist that's not too badly arthritic and over the next couple of months it will become less painful again.

Good luck with it
    -Richard
    Unfortunately the consultant said it was pretty bad but it is not sore when not using but it's my right wrist right handed

• Richmcfinn
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Dave

You've had some good replies to your query but thought I'd add another link to help both you and Richard :D

The AC web site has a specific article on Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist - https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist

Hope this is useful to both of you :D

Best wishes
    Bryn

Thanks for that -Richard
  • Richmcfinn
    Clarky69 wrote:
    Richmcfinn wrote:

Good luck with it
    -Richard
    Unfortunately the consultant said it was pretty bad but it is not sore when not using but it's my right wrist right handed

Sorry to hear. This is the case for me too. With any luck your steroid injections or pills and resting it whenever you can will do the job for you and you can keep sparking
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Dave and Richard I just to want to welcome you both to this lovely forum..Dave I have had the injections in my thumbs and one wrists they did work very well.. good luck with them :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Clarky69
    Thanks Barbara and richard think the injections appear to be working starting new job in September off of the tools so hopefully pain will go perm