Things I have found in our garden.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Aug 2016, 08:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
At our old house it was not unusual for us to find cold roast potatoes at on the lawn but we knew where these came from: the three year-old next door was not a fan so he would tuck them into his socks, toddle off down the garden, climb the 'look-out' (his father had built him a climbing frame and platform) then chuck them over the fence. One time, however, I found half a roast chicken wedged half way up the the buddleia right at the bottom of said space. How that arrived remains a mystery.

The current garden (which is enclosed on all four sides) has played host to a variety of animal droppings and fox vomit but, until recently, nothing 'man-made'. A couple of weeks ago I was playing hostess to a party including three males aged 51 years, circa 36 years and 22 months old. The night before I realised I hadn't got a football but the next morning, there on the patio, lay a lovely black and silver ball. I think I know where that came from (I'd heard some lads having a party the night before, it must have been kicked over the high kitchen roof by an enthusiastic and 'refreshed' youngster) and it went down a storm with the guests. Despite telling the neighbours we have it, it remains unclaimed so Mr DD has taken it as his own.

This morning, though, is an oddity. In one of the raised but horizontally deep flowerbeds I saw a splash of blue plastic. I fetched my grabber and it is one of those lengthy, hinged, clawed hair grips. I am totally mystified about where this has come from which led me to think: have you found some strange things in your garden? If so what and how do you think they got there? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Probably the worst thing is a pile of wood pigeon feathers left behind from when the sparrow hawk visits. We often find shuttleco**s from when the little boy next door has been in his garden playing with his dad.

Nothing truly orIginal I'm afraid.
  • Richmcfinn
    Richmcfinn Member Posts: 17
    Who knows what you will find in your garden next!

A friend of mine had a raised bed in his garden which was near to a smallholding where there was a flock of geese. One day whilst weeding he unearthed a large goose egg. "That's weird", he thought, and threw it away.
    Big mistake. For several weeks afterwards the bed was systematically dug up -plants uprooted, total mess. We think that an animal, most likely a fox, had stolen the egg and temporarily stashed it in the garden for a rainy day. It was determined to find it again, it knew it was there somewhere....
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Nothing strange, just a few bits of bricks and an old thimble found when I first moved here. The kids on either side are forever kicking balls over. I have 15 in my kitchen at the moment. All of them from the same boy. All kicked over within the last fortnight. Two of them thudded against by back door which has a glass top panel and two bounced across my kitchen floor. So I'm keeping them for a while. :bouncing-ball: Oh and there are often cigarette ends (I don't smoke and neither do my visitors)and the odd bottle top or cork.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Lovely neighbours Christine :roll: Classy!

DD I have never found anything anywhere near as exiting as your treasures :? I hope the little boy at your old house likes roasties now bless him :)

When we moved here I did find a lovely stone bird-bath. Now happily reinstated in the front garden where Daisycat goes less. Like Teresa nothing exiting :(

Rich the egg story is rather amusing form here, but your friend must have been fuming!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    The only things we find are next doors children :lol: ..we still have the slide that we have used and still use for our GC, so they climb the fence to slide ..they did ask a few weeks ago and are lovely polite children..there mum is Indian and makes sure they are.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I misread that first sentence of yours, Barbara, and had a wonderful image of you and Mr B sliding away merrily :bouncing-ball:

These days we don't find many strange things in the garden though we still, occasionally, unearth old marbles and teaspoons from when our boys were young. The teaspoons were for mending punctures or, to be precise, forcing the tyres off in order to mend the puncture within. It seemed to be essential to always get new teaspoons.

The oddest thing ever found was many years ago. Mr SW shot into the house looking very pale. He'd been moving some old stones and put his hand on a large flat one to lift it up. The stone leapt up in the air and was not best pleased. It was a toad.

Oh, and I once looked out to find some cows there. We are neither inner-city nor rural so they were a bit of a surpirise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    When we moved in we found: rotten wooden garden furniture that fell to bits when it was touched, garden gnomes (seemed like hundreds of them!), artificial grass (yes, really), and a path! The path was buried under about 2feet deep of leaves, and other garden rubbish. We'd had no idea there was a path there.

All these 'treasures' had been left by the previous owners. Lovely! :roll: However, they took most of it away when they collected the other stuff they left in the bungalow and garage as I'd made it clear to the estate agents that if the previous owners didn't remove their cr*p, we'd get a skip and sue! They cleared it.

Oh nearly forgot. We also had a washing line that was filthy - that was cut down quickly. And a dustbin they'd "kindly left for us" - filled with - yes, you've guessed it - their rubbish.

In the front garden we had two "coffins". Not actual coffins but two raised flower beds which were the exact sizes of coffins, (our neighbour told us she referred to them as "the coffins" hence us calling them this) and they were filled with dead flowers, spent compost, ants nests and more cr*p. We removed them. John sold the artificial grass to a local firm of undertakers who were delighted with it. Think he got about £25 or thereabouts for it.

We had a dead baby rabbit in the garden about 4 years ago. Neatly deposited in the middle of a paving slab in the path. Too big for our cat to have carried so we blamed the cat two doors up who's still a thug.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Nothing that interesting though I did once find a dead fox in my garden. As I wasn't willing to pay about £70 to get it taken away I put on heavy duty rubber gloves, picked it up (very heavy) and carried it out and dropped it in a gutter. I was then able to phone my council, report it and they then collected it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello DD
    I know this is not the garden. years ago we moved in to a bungalow and was told they had to put a new bath in because the man there before grew plants in it.
    have a good long weekend
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Among the wilderness that is my garden I found my rhubarb which is usually a fruiting early variety has put out a late plentiful supply,so now we have a rhubarb tart in the oven and a bag in the freezer,nature is wonderful. Mig
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    No objects, but there was a flourishing jimson weed (thorn apple) extremely poisonous, which must have been a gift from a bird. As an avid reader of crime novels, I found it quite exciting.

Our house was built on land which previously had housed a firework factory, but we've never found any fireworks!

Meg