Living with the able-bodied

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 29. Aug 2016, 04:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
It has its many values and uses.

BUT

Today, unusually, I fancied a stilton (blue, of course) and pickled onion sandwich for lunch. Sorted the bread and cheese. But the pickled onion jar, despite being almost empty, defeated me. It also defeated my – formerly - one-touch jar opener, now my 'several touches, a few yanks and still it won't do it' jar opener. I tried my old trick of placing it upside down in very hot water (The pickled onion jar not t he electric opener :wink: ) but still the lid wouldn't budge. Reluctantly, I got the gherkins out instead.

And repeated the whole process. Mr Universe had been at them too :roll:

I really didn't want the sweetness of chutney so, in desperation, I used capers. I don't think I'll do that again. Fine in a stew or fish pie but tasting only of salt in a sarnie. Let's hope I have better luck with tonight's pasta.

I'm OK with beetroot, lime pickle and jam but anything that he likes..... :mrgreen:

Time to get a new jar opener.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Why has anyone never come up with a jar that is easy to open, I know its the vacuum thats hold the lid on so tight, but there must be a way..anyhow I have the rubber sort of lasso that you put round the lid but even that can let me down sometimes..I remember my late mum using the door to get them off :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    I do have a flat rubber sunflower, that used to help, but I leave bottles and jars to OH - I did use the door once, many moons ago, Mother had a fit. lol
    They sell one on QV-, that looks quite good. Of course they claim it opens just about everything including Pandora's box :lol:
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Initial openings I leave to Mr DD but yes, it's when they've had an onion, gherkin, spoonful of pickle etc. they unthinkingly (but not unkindly) screw the lid back on as they feel it should be done. Luckily he doesn't deal with bleach bottles (either he or a friend will open those for me but after that he leaves them alone), all that push-down-and-twist or squeeze-or-twist nonsense, ridiculous. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Thanks Aidan. I still have one of those rubber grippy things but it's a long time since it was much use to me as I have virtually no grip myself except between my thumbs and the palms of my hands.

Barbara, I have a strap wrench, too, which I find great for milk and juice cartons but not for slippery surfaces like jar tops.

DD, it's a well-known fact that the only people who can open childproof containers are children :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Barbara, I have a strap wrench, too, which I find great for milk and juice cartons but not for slippery surfaces like jar tops.
    You need the one with the little rubber bobbles on then it doesn't slip..not sure were I got this from but will have a think..
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I learned a tick from someone I used to work with on how to open tops on jars. Tap the top of the lid with palm of hand quite hard. That should make it easier to come off. Or try hitting the lid with the under side of the over lap of the work top. Either idea works out for my OH or me a good 8/10 times for us. It's worth trying!!
  • stickywicket
    That sounds like a good idea, Barbara, though maybe I'll just get another electric one. No ooopmh or welly needed. (I am lacking in the oomph and welly dept :wink: ) Even for milk and fruit juice cartons I have to hug the carton and I struggle to adjust the rubber to the right size.

Bubbadog. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will help many but, for me, it's not just a matter of releasing the airlock. I am simply rubbish at opening stuff. Often, when I take jars to other people, they gaze at me in suspicion thinking I'm taking the micket out of them because, to them, the lid's practically off to start with :roll:

One good reason for keeping my marriage intact is how on earth would I open wine bottles without him :lol:
    Steven Wright