Partial knee replacement

Sars4185
Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
edited 5. Sep 2016, 16:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey , I am wondering is anyone has had a partial knee placement? If so did it help with the pain ? Are any of you under the age of 50 who had the op? My consultant is reluctant to do it yet due to my age but nothing else is working .
Thanks Sara

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

I had a right partial (bi-compartmental knee replacement) in 2009 when I was 44. It's helped with the pain for the part of the knee that was done, but I still get some pain with it and the non replaced part of my knee generates a lot of pain. I get pain from the prosthesis itself and it's on the clunky side - has been since day one. I was told that can happen. It "pulls" when the weather is cold and I have to ensure I don't fall on it. On a couple of occasions when I've jarred it I've known about it well and truly.

Post-op it's hard work so don't go into this unless you are prepared for hard work, especially the physio. There are limitations what you can do after a TKR (whether a total or partial) in that you can't do impact related sports such as running, playing squash, etc. I can't kneel on my right knee, some people can but others like me can't.

When I got my London (RNOH) consultant to agree to do my knee in 2009, I explained my pain was unbearable. I went into theatre on the premise that the consultant would decide in theatre if it would be a total or partial replacement.

I'm just about to start the referral to have a total replacement in my left knee (I was told January 2014 that was past the point of a partial). This next op will be hard for me as when I had my partial done in 2009 my late partner helped me post-op. Having lost him February this year I'll be on my own for the left TKR and it's daunting.

Once a partial replacement wears out it has to be replaced with a total replacement knee - that's a slightly longer op. My partial should hopefully last 15-20 years (maximum) if I look after it - which I'm doing.

If you want any more information please PM me - I'd be pleased to help. However, I can't stress enough that this is a decision that only you can make. Good luck, hope this has helped.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Sars4185
    Thank you so much Grace B for the information. You have put it plain , I have the consultant next month so it will give me time to think about what the right choice is . What made you have a partial was it the pain ? My OA affects my work I come home in pain and have to ice it . Do you do any activities since the operation?thanks
    Sara
  • GraceB
    You are welcome. Yes the pain was getting out of control, my knee was locking and giving way underneath me. My last clinic appointment (when they agreed to do the replacement) I'd explained things were unbearable, my sleep was impacted by the pain. I even said that I wanted one of two things. Either a replacement or for them to give me a marker pen, I'd draw a line on my thigh and they could amputate the leg. Sounds drastic but that's how desperate I was. They listened - thankfully.

Make a list of pros and cons. If you do have this done, beforehand make sure you do as much prep as possible. Stock up on books, DVD's, etc. You'll need them! If you are not already internet shopping for groceries start, as you'll not manage to do a shop yourself.

If you need any further information please PM me. I'd be happy to help. Good luck.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • Sars4185
    Thankyiu GraceB that is really helpful. I also ntold my consultant to chop off my leg a few months ago due to the pain. Thats when he suggested to give me another steroid injection which didn't work. How soon were you back to work? My job is quite physical and i am quite concerned about that aspect.However my knee at the moment causes a huge impact with me at work.
    Any news about your TKR?
    Regards
    Sara
  • GraceB
    Steroids didn't work for me - and never have.

I do an office (desk based) job and went back at 6 weeks post op. That was soon enough for me. You'd have to take advice from your consultant re when to return to work. You may have to ask your employer to adjust your duties for a while when you go back, or stay off until you can manage your role.

With regards to my TKR, if you look at my post "Crikey!" I've updated on there.

Good luck with the partial and if you need any further info, just shout out.

GraceB