General joint replacement questions

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 6. Sep 2016, 05:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm trying to organise my thoughts and I have so many questions. My surgeon is the best and answers his emails even on the weekends but I don't want to abuse his kindness with the smaller questions. I know that the metal prosthetic joint for the jaw is similar to other joint replacements, so thought some of you might be able to please help me out.

1.) Will I be able to have MRI scans afterwards? Dr Google says yes but the scans may be fuzzy in the head area. I've had a sudden panic that one day, I'll need a detailed scan of my head and the prosthesis will cause issues. Irrational, I know. :roll:

2.) Will I beep when I go through metal detectors? How does it work at airports? Do you need a letter from a doctor?

3.) It is an important part of medical history in general? I mean, obviously I would mentioned it but does it change anything if you have a metal joint inside your body?

Thanks in advance and happy bank holiday weekend! xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's s big thing, Sophie, and, of course you have questions and I do understand your not wishing to take up your surgeon's leisure time. As you know I'm full of metal starting with the original TKRs then moving on to THRs and a knee revision. In answer to your questions:

1. I've only ever had one MRI. It was for a broken hip and, at the time, I only had two TKRs so I guess it was easy enough to avoid them. They do have to be careful with DXA scans though. They can't do as much of my spine as they usually do because of the THRs so they do an additional arm as well.

2. I think I beep in airports if they take me through the scanner but, as I always go through in the wheelchair and am 'manually checked' I don't even think about it. I don't carry any docs' notes but I do look absolutely authentic :lol: I think I'd want a precautionary note re a jawbone as it's not as common as hips and knees.

3. I'm sorry, I don't really understand this question. It changes my knees and hips for sure. But I can't think of anything else. I guess, if things go wrong then the prosthesis is a potential source of infection but, in 35 years, I've never had that with any of mine.

Good luck and do feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    It's not a joint replacement but the fusion in my neck is a metal cage. I have had MRIs since I had it, on my neck and brain, which I was referred for by the surgeon who performed my op. Both times I mentioned it when I went and was told that after a certain time period, 6 months I think, it was fine.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I have two knee replacements, and yes, I beep when I go through airport metal detectors. It's not a major problem, but it does mean I get frisked, every single time, which is a nuisance. I'm used to it now; I ask my partner to pick up my hand luggage, as I know I'll take much longer than him to get through. I always tell them, but they still search me; they have to. And I don't look as though I've ever had anything wrong with me.

I agree with sticky though - since jaw replacements are less common, a letter from your doctor might be a good idea. But I can't see it being a big problem.
  • Starburst
    Thank you very much for the informative and kind replies. Sticky, if it helps, I'm not sure what I meant by my third questions either. :lol:

I'm still a good 4 to 6 months away from having the operation. The wait isn't much fun and I'm in a lot of pain. I was offered steroid injections but I declined on account of not really wanting needles stuck into my face :shock: and also, there's a risk of it further collapsing the joint. I don't want to put myself through a keyhole procedure under anaesthetic either. There's such a small chance that it will help. Plus, it'll mean an overnight hospital stay and more time off work. I'm on a long waiting list for the pain clinic. <sigh>
  • stickywicket
    ((( )))

(I have no words – well, not ones that the forum would allow.)
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    ((( )))

(I have no words – well, not ones that the forum would allow.)

It's a shame that the forum doesn't allow so many of my favourite words. I'm pretty certain I once read a study that said swearing reduces pain levels but there's a small chance I may have imagined that. :lol:
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Having to wait so long must be so hard, all I can say is I hope it's nearer 4 than 6. In the meantime all I can do is send hugs and my admiration
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Starburst wrote:
    I'm pretty certain I once read a study that said swearing reduces pain levels but there's a small chance I may have imagined that. :lol:

No, you didn't imagine it, Sophie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8147170.stm
    “A study by Keele University researchers found volunteers who cursed at will could endure pain nearly 50% longer than civil-tongued peers.
    They believe swearing helps us downplay being hurt in favour of a more pain-tolerant machismo.”
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I have a swear room...and it helps..
    Right back to your question, the machine at the airport didn't beep for me but did for others so not a clue why, and I have had 2 MRIs one my back since I had my first THR..and they were fine ..
    We will be here for you to give support ..and I hope that pain clinic appointment come through very soon..x
    Love
    Barbara