Dreadful news from an old forum friend

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 4. Sep 2016, 18:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Some of you may remember 'caliban'. For many of us on here he lightened the pain of arthritis with his great sense of humour, and this despite the fact that English was not his first language or possibly even his second.

He left the forum two years ago. Did he jump or was he pushed? I can't remember. I only remember that the forum was undergoing a difficult period, new rules / interpretations of rules were being imposed and it was all too easy to fall foul of them. 'Caliban' was a casualty.

We kept in touch and last night I got a very, very sad email from him. Our newspapers have barely reported the bush fires in southern France but they are happening for all that.

'Caliban's' home has burnt down and his cats are dead. He lived alone with his cats.

He, and fellow evacuees,, are in the local theatre. He managed to rescue one cat but she was very traumatised and escaped from the theatre. He is, naturally, devastated and in many different kinds of pain.

I am posting this because I think some of you would wish to know. Also, I guess, selfishly, because I feel helpless at supporting someone who has lost virtually everything except his arthritis.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    When you contact him again tell him mig sends hugs for both him and the cat. (((())))
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh SW how awful ...I have been feeling down lately but this puts things in perspective..my hearts goes out to him..please give him my love...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I wasn't on the forum when Caliban was around, therefore didn't know him, but my heart goes out to him in these very traumatic circumstances. I've just been reading about the dreadful fires and the desperate efforts of the firemen to contain them.

Many kind wishes to Caliban.
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    That is very sad news and I really feel for him losing his home and his cats. Please pass on my best wishes to Caliban and sincere hope that life improves for him.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Sticky, oh my word, this is very bad news. :( Thank you for letting us know, of course I recall Caliban, an educated and erudite man indeed but as arthritics rarely jump . . . .

The next time you contact him please let him know that I am very saddened by his news, I cannot comprehend that degree of devastation and I daresay he too is struggling with that degree of loss. I wouldn't know where to start rebuilding not only my home but my life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I well remember Caliban and his contribution to the Forum, and my sadness at his departure(which I felt could and should have been avoided) - didn't realise it was 2 years ago though.
    Sticky please forward my condolences on the loss of his feline companions, and that my thoughts are with him.
    We grumble about extreme weather in this country but I've always thought that wildfires must be the most awful thing to have to deal with -fire observes no height or distance boundaries so escape is very difficult, - and am so glad it's not something w have to face in the UK.
  • barbara12
    Hello SW just wondering if there is any more news on Caliban...I do feel for him and hope his little cat that survived will find its way back to him..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    UPDATE

And thanks for asking, Barbara.

There is good news and bad news.

The bad news is that Caliban's cat was even more traumatised at being confined in the theatre with lots of strangers (she is semi-feral) and she managed to escape.

The best news is that, not only is the fire officially out but, when Caliban returned to his former home, there, in a sort of drain pipe underneath the house for collecting the rain water from the hills, were his cat's three, enterprising little kittens. They had somehow survived in the drain pipe and are now at the theatre.

I have told Caliban of the thread and he is very touched by all your messages. He sends his "very best wishes and thanks to the people on the forum" and says "It IS helpful to know that people are compassionate."

I am very aware that the drudgery of packing all our possessions for our imminent house move is, in fact, a luxury.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    I have tears in my eyes here..so very happy he has found them alive and well..like you say SW it make you put things in perceptive..will be thinking about him and you on your house move..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am still struggling to comprehend the impact of losing one's house - that would be my undoing. But being arthritic and homeless? There is indeed another hell on earth

Thank you for telling him that strangers remember him and with fondness because we do. I am so pleased he found the little moglets and I hope that they can rebuild their life thanks to him rebuilding his, but how the aitch does one find the resources (both financial and physical) to do so? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    A little light on a dark horizon .Hugs Caliban.(((()))) Mig
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Oh my goodness, what dreadful news. I didn't know Caliban but send him my best wishes. Thank goodness he found the kittens. A little light indeed. I really hope he gets help to rebuild his life with his three little friends.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh dear poor poor Caliban :(

I think I must have missed his departure due to Lucy's ill-health around that time. Sorry.

Please, please do send my very, very best wishes that he gets his home back into some sort of order very soon.

The fact that his wee kittens are safe is wonderful news and ought to have made national tv. I am so, so happy I am sure he will gain much comfort from nurturing them now and they he.

Thank you for letting us know.

Love,

Toni xxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Thank you Sticky
    I do remember him and I wondered why he left.
    i'm sorry to hear of his sad problems I hope he gets help and everyone else in the fire as well. good luck to him and the kittens.
    Sticky I hope your house move goes well.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Wow, I remember Caliban he was around just as I joined, what a terrible thing to happen and I can't believe it didn't make the news! I'm so, so sorry he has lost his house but relieved his clever kittens found a way to hide. Proves cats are clever!! Please send him my love and fuss to the kittens.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I remember Caliban well. He was a breath of fresh air to the forum, and greatly missed when he left/was pushed.
    I'm saddened to hear of his misfortune, pleased the kittens survived. I wish him the very best for the future. It would be lovely if he could join us on the forum again.
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Caliban was in touch a couple of days ago. He's really struggling every which way. Positive vibes, please, everyone.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    I hope he can get to see the forum then realize that so many people are here for him...many good vibes going his way ((((((
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    I've heard from Caliban again. He's still trying to find somewhere to live but he's now looked at this thread and says he is touched by all your posts as he 'did not expect that'. He has asked me to thank you all asap, adding that he liked the forum a lot and found it very helpful sometimes.

I do hope that he can soon find somewhere. We all know that arthritis is bad enough in the comfort of our own homes with our own bed and chair and everything arranged for our convenience. Caliban, being Caliban, is not complaining but he is being honest about his feelings and life is tough for him.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    So glad he got to read this thread...and I really do wish him well for the future...I wonder what help they are getting if any...
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    He's having a terribly rough time. I hope he manages to find somewhere to live soon.
    Christine
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh, that brought tears to my eyes. I don't know what to say. That is so terribly sad. I am sending BIG positive vibes and support. I wish there was something we could do. Hang in there, caliban. Tough times don't last but tough people do.